Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was looking for a good first project to learn things on and see if car work was my thing. Mustangs were the most readily available (tons of them produced) and the parts are relatively cheap compared to other projects. Also, the parts are plentiful-- you could build a completely new car from aftermarket parts, if you really had the funds.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wish I had a story overflowing with nostalgia and vivid childhood memories, but I don’t. I love cars and I love history. the Mustang made history and changed the world. It has a great story and is an icon of Americana like few other cars (or products for that matter) can claim. The lines on a 65 or 66 fastback are, in my option among the most gorgeous of any car ever. It was pure perfection just as Mr. Halderman drew it. When the time came to buy a fun classic car, I knew exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm soon to be 58. First car my folks had where my feet could touch the floor. But even then, I knew beauty when I saw it. Since then my family has owned countless Stangs of different vintages. No one has owned a '67-68 or a '71-73. But there have been multiple '65-66 cars. A few Fox bodies, a couple of II's. The size is just so right. Wanna talk to strangers? Pump gas into a first gen car. It's American as hell. The Vette is relatively more expensive and is really just an American take on the international concept of a sports car. The Mustang is one of those things that make everyone in the world want to be American. Britain has the Beatles. America has the Mustang. The first gen cars are the most beautiful mass-produced commercial product ever made at a price point where literally millions could be bought by the average consumer. The first gen Camaro? Phft..... No way. I've loved them from the beginning.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My best friend had a 64.5 with a 6 cylinder when we were in high school. To make it a bit louder, he put some blown out import muffler on it. We were driving down the freeway one night, and some Marine in a V8 65/66 coupe pulled up next to us and started surging back and forth, challenging us to a race. Chris wouldn't bite because of the 6 banger. That guy then jumped on it and was gone. I was impressed.

My high school track/cross-country coach is a die hard Ford fanatic. He would tell us stories about transplanted big block 57 T-birds, factory Cobras, Shelby's, Mustangs, etc. I was driving a 65 Chevy Biscayne my senior year in high school, and Coach C had lots of advice for me. He loved his Fords, but he's a hot rodder at heart. He had an A code 65 coupe that he was the original owner until he sold it to his nephew. He just sold his 2000 something Cobra as his health is affecting his ability to drive.

After I had been in the Army for a year, I went shopping for a car because I was tired of bumming for rides. I went looking for a Mustang or a Nova. Found my 65 at a used car lot in Puyallup, WA. It's the only Mustang I've ever owned, and it will be passed down to one of my daughters.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Well my dad ordered mine in March of 67 from the local Ford dealer, it was delivered April. Decades later at a university reunion, we found out that he was one of 6 from his graduating class at university who, all without each other knowing, had gone to that same Ford dealer that month and ordered a new 67 Mustang as a grad present.
So I grew up with that car. I still remember lying sideways across the fold-down looking up at the stars and still not touching either side, and also sitting in the back seat peeking around at the speedo as dad redlined it shifting up through the gears. Eventually we used that car as a family car for 6 of us before another car entered the family, and since we moved fairly frequently with dad's job the Mustang became my touchstone of "non-change" sort of thing. Dad tried to sell it in 1979, and the day the newspaper ad came out I ran downstairs in the morning before school and said I'd buy it. Glad I did, because when I came home from high school that afternoon, there were somewhere between 12 and 25 callers for the car - Mom doesn't remember clearly exactly how many now. So anyways, I bondo/brazed/Earl Scheib "restored" it in '84, and then properly done rotisserie style to concours driven level in '06. Dad went through hi-perf Audi's, Jag E-Types, etc. but they've all gone. His old Mustang endures.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My dad was in the Air Force, by the time I graduated HS I had lived in 7 states + the Philippines.

I saw America from the back seat of a 67 Mustang and a 65 Vista Cruiser.

Love both of those cars and have always had my eye out for a Vista Cruiser or Sport Wagon.

My 67 is a project that I am supposed to be selling, since I bought a nice 65, but I just cant let the 67 go.

Im not a Chevy guy, but I would be happy to own a 57 Sport Sedan.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
as P-51 mentioned ,,,From it's inception the Mustang could be ordered and optioned in so many ways it was possible to make the car "yours".
I grew up in a very Ford heavy family so naturally when I was shopping for my 1st car at 16 it was pretty likely going to be a Mustang (although I did have a soft spot for AMX's ,but price and availability cured me of that problem) so mid 80's I ended up with 1st 66 a complete Bondo bucket but it was V8 with a 3 speed stick and air shocks with G60/14's stuffed out back I had to have it

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Why? I ask myself that with every Summit and NPD order! Grew up in a anything but Ford family so who knows why? Probably parts availability when I restored my 67 in 1991 when you could still buy genuine Ford parts for most things. Those were the days my friends!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I needed a cheap car in high school and found a red 289/4sp 66 coup with Keystones for $450 at a used car lot. I still feel a streak of wild when I look at a 1st Gen Mustang.

·
Super Moderator
8,882 Posts
I was a kid with a paper route when I saw the coolest car that I’ve Ever seen. I told my dad and asked him to drive me to the car and tell me what it was,......that car was what I wanted.

It was a black first gen Hardtop with all of the late 70’s obligatory add ons; traction bars, rims, rear fatties, nice raked stance and glass packs!!

I was sold, I saved my money and bought a 67 Hardtop for my first car in 1982 in good condition for $600.00. :wink:

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I was a kid with a paper route when I saw the coolest car that I’ve Ever seen. I told my dad and asked him to drive me to the car and tell me what it was,......that car was what I wanted.

It was a black first gen Hardtop with all of the late 70’s obligatory add ons; traction bars, rims, rear fatties, nice raked stance and glass packs!!

I was sold, I saved my money and bought a 67 Hardtop for my first car in 1982 in good condition for $600.00. :wink:
I wondered why we get a long so well, mine is a similar story. A friend of my brothers (5 years older than me, I still keep in touch with the friend about Mustangs) had a 1969 Mach 1, prettiest car I had ever seen. Dad knew the Mach 1 owners Dad (genuine guy who is still alive and has to be ~90 years old now) and asked if he could find me a 1969 Mustang. He did, a 1969 Mustang "Hardtop", 6 cylinder, 3 speed but in pretty good shape. Dad co-signed on a $1,000 loan. I paid $500 for the car, this was 1983. I used the extra money to "fix" it up including a paint job. It's just never left my blood...

Amazing how some of the stories are similar...

Allen

·
Registered
934 Posts
Same reason I chose my wife, I like her lines, the way she handles and the sounds she makes. That’s all I’m saying about that.
Guess you mean your car when you say “...the sounds she makes...” 😜
(Sorry, not trying to be rude)

Josep

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really loved the styling of the Mustang when it first came out. I remember getting a toy Mustang hardtop in my cereal box of Rice Krinkles. Then the fastback came out and I had to power through the cereal box so I could get mom to buy a new box with the fastback toy in it. I remember seeing the new Mustang when I was 7 at the 1964 World's Fair in New York. I also remember having a ride in a brand new red 1965 Mustang hardtop when my dad was looking at new cars, even though he ended up buying a Corvair. When I was ready to buy my 1st car in 1974 I wanted a Mustang with a big block. I found one for $750 (I overpaid). I still own it today. Now that I look back, so many of my friends and neighbors have also owned Mustangs. The craziest were the sister and brother who both owned brand new red 69 Shelby GT350s. They used to park them side by side in their front yard. Then the brother traded his in for a red GT500. I wonder if the Ford dealer gave them a good deal on those cars? Anyway, those are some of the things that got me hooked on Mustangs.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,880 Posts
My next older brother had a 1970 Coupe that he wanted to sell when I was getting my license so I bought it from him. My oldest brother had a 1967 Cougar at the same time. The 70 Coupe was totaled by a drunk driver & I bought a 69 Coupe, after that one I was hooked. At the same time my other cousin had a 69 Mach-1 w/a 390. After my older brother sold me his 1970 Coupe he bought a 1968 GT Coupe from another cousin of ours, which I eventually bought from him when he wanted to sell it. I kept the 68 GT Coupe for 12 years. I have had the 70 Coupe, a 69 Coupe, a 68 GT Coupe, 65 Fastback, & my current 69 Coupe.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I was 5 in '65 and my dad got a race track with motorized (battery) cars both were mustangs - they were coupes but I was car crazy since I was born I loved those cars. My first model that I built on my own was a 67 light blue fastback when I was 7, what a mess lol can't believe my mom let me near glue. Next in 70 I fell in love with a grabber yellow mach 1 or boss that just drove by me one day that would be one of my dream cars to own. I've had a lot of different cars but mustang fastbacks will always have a special place in my heart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Dad had a 67 green coupe with a 302. It was a cool car. I bought the 69 Coupe back in 2000 and can't let go of it. They grow on you.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Sure, we’ll go with that

Guess you mean your car when you say “...the sounds she makes...” 😜
(Sorry, not trying to be rude)

6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

·
Registered
801 Posts
When I was 15, I had a '64 Fairlane that I bought from my great grandmother. Dad and I built a 302 and C4 to put in, to replace the 260 and 2-speed Ford-O-Matic it came with. But before we could put it in, an old couple rear-ended me in a blizzard, bending the Fairlane's frame and totaling the car.

I had to have another car to drive to school, 30 miles away. So, I scoured the For Sale ads in our local newspaper. Nothing. No cool classic cars at all - at least not in my price range. When dad asked how my search was going, I was pretty despondent. He decided to look too.

"Hey, here's a '67 Cougar!"
"Dad, I don't want a big luxury barge!"
"Naw, these early ones were a lot more like a Mustang. They didn't get big till later."
"Really?"

(my dad was pretty dumb back when I was 15. He didn't get smart until years later, after I was out of high school.)

I decided to give this a try though. We went to go see the seller. He was a rangy looking old hippie, and I really wasn't too sure about things as he moseyed over to his dilapidated garage. It had a flat wooden door, and was covered in cobwebs, dirt, peeling paint, and old dead weeds.
When he opened the door, dead bugs and crud rained down, revealing the back end of a '67 Cougar, shod in Goodyear 235/60 rubber and "Turbine" aluminum rims. Light shone down from heaven, gleaming off the angry red rear taillights with their vertical bar grilles. Angels sang, as I imagined the sweet sound of a 302 howling through those straight dual exhaust pipes. I had to have that car. In that moment, I fell in love with the first gen Mercury Cougars, and the romance is not likely to ever end.

I put in the C4 and 302 dad and I built, and proceeded to terrorize many an old country road and blacktop, learning to do bootlegger turns, burnouts, and proper doughnuts. Not even the old back field was safe, because not knowing better, my car could go anywhere at the time. Some of the best days of my life were spent in that old rough-idling "robin's egg blue" beast, making the most of her 3.25 9" rear end, and big tires.

I know it's not a Mustang - but as a sibling car, hopefully you guys can appreciate this too.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
When I was 15, I had a '64 Fairlane that I bought from my great grandmother. Dad and I built a 302 and C4 to put in, to replace the 260 and 2-speed Ford-O-Matic it came with. But before we could put it in, an old couple rear-ended me in a blizzard, bending the Fairlane's frame and totaling the car.

I had to have another car to drive to school, 30 miles away. So, I scoured the For Sale ads in our local newspaper. Nothing. No cool classic cars at all - at least not in my price range. When dad asked how my search was going, I was pretty despondent. He decided to look too.

"Hey, here's a '67 Cougar!"
"Dad, I don't want a big luxury barge!"
"Naw, these early ones were a lot more like a Mustang. They didn't get big till later."
"Really?"

(my dad was pretty dumb back when I was 15. He didn't get smart until years later, after I was out of high school.)

I decided to give this a try though. We went to go see the seller. He was a rangy looking old hippie, and I really wasn't too sure about things as he moseyed over to his dilapidated garage. It had a flat wooden door, and was covered in cobwebs, dirt, peeling paint, and old dead weeds.
When he opened the door, dead bugs and crud rained down, revealing the back end of a '67 Cougar, shod in Goodyear 235/60 rubber and "Turbine" aluminum rims. Light shone down from heaven, gleaming off the angry red rear taillights with their vertical bar grilles. Angels sang, as I imagined the sweet sound of a 302 howling through those straight dual exhaust pipes. I had to have that car. In that moment, I fell in love with the first gen Mercury Cougars, and the romance is not likely to ever end.

I put in the C4 and 302 dad and I built, and proceeded to terrorize many an old country road and blacktop, learning to do bootlegger turns, burnouts, and proper doughnuts. Not even the old back field was safe, because not knowing better, my car could go anywhere at the time. Some of the best days of my life were spent in that old rough-idling "robin's egg blue" beast, making the most of her 3.25 9" rear end, and big tires.

I know it's not a Mustang - but as a sibling car, hopefully you guys can appreciate this too.
I too had a Fairlane (65) the one that got away :frown2:
and I really like 67 Trans Am ish Cougars :smile2:

21 - 40 of 64 Posts