Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
rdnck1
210 Posts
Kind of an odd way of getting into the Mustang. Mostly due to the doctor telling me to get more physical therapy by working on a hobby and secondly by the wife's requirements for the car. She wanted a V8, auto, ps, pb and air. It also needed to be a 1965 model and she had to like the color and the looks. In reality, she picked the car but I am totally into it. There was no limits once we met her requirements so we ended up with the 1965 Mustang. After that came the performance and restoration work all towards my requirements of looking nice, being able to drive it on the street and expressway, handling and horsepower. The restriction on it being a 1965 car really did limit the choices in the looks department with few cars meeting what we liked from that year. Can't wait to finish it enough to drive it, we all know there will be more work upgrading later on. Jim

·
Registered
500 Posts
Never thought about a Mustang before. Always wanted a 67 GTO convertible. After I sold my antique Harley (1930 VL with a side car European export) I was looking thru Hemmings on line and saw the 66 convertible GT clone in sunshine yellow and that was it!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My Dad had a 1966 Vintage Burgundy Sprint 200 Convertible with a Black Standard interior and my Uncle had a 1965 Vintage Burgundy 289 V8 with a Black Standard interior. Interior. Both cars were optioned the same (With the exception of I6 engine and console in the '66 Sprint) and looked like identical twins. Both cars had Black vinyl tops and Wire Wheel hubcaps and the Painted White accent pinstripe.

Me at Age 2...Boy behind the wheel...(1972). I didn't care that my feet could not reach the pedals..I was ready to go!...Check out those pants! Also notice the interior on the seat...Rather Rare Code 26A (Smooth Black Vinyl inserts) in '66...Basically leftover Black '65 Seatcovers that Ford used up. Very few cars got this...My father's was one of them.

2nd pic of me in front of my father's '66 Sprint 200.. later (Age 4)(1974)....and finally me...3rd pic (Age 5) wrestling with a kid from across the street..My cousin Tim is the one wearing a Period Football Helmet....with my father's 1966 Sprint 200 Convertible in the background... These are the few pics that I have of the car, but I do have a 1971 home movie of it...!

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I purposely did not read another replies be fore making this. Why a classic..'cause it is fun......at the right time We have a convertible and. when I want the sun beating down on my head while it is noisy with the wind and the stereo blasting it is great. Took that car for a hour drive last week for a special lunch to make a deal on a new car--the best day for a long time. No way I would make it our daily driver,I love the car and we are car people for sure. For a long laid back trip, we take the 2014 Lincoln MKZ. Old cars are super cool but, for comfort, we take modern iron. Just my OP.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Neat to read all these stories. The car pictured below I drove in HS. I'd post an earlier picture but apparently back then I didn't wear much. Nobody wants to see that.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Same as most here- got the bug at 1st sight. My Dad gave me a copy of the Mustang guidebook, and I was hooked immediately! At 12yo, I started saving 1965 dated quarters. I recall sketching the 'Mustang' nameplate and running horse all over my school books, locker, etc. Bought my 1st '65 when I turned 16, and yes- paid for it with those quarters! Still have the car today. Lost count over the years, but I've probably had between 40-50 64-66 Mustangs, along with numerous 67-68's. I'm a car junkie- and can't stand to see a car go to waste, so I'll buy even the terds just to save parts and pieces- now have an overwhelming pile of the stuff! Along with the Mustangs, I tend to scoop up anything else that comes my way and looks cool. From my '38 Fords, '50 'Boxes, '57-'65 Galaxies, and my Tiger, my barn is full! When it comes down to it though, The Mustang was, is, and always will be my go to choice!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I discovered cars in high school and would go over Hot Rod magazine every month. I had my heart set on a '65 GTO, but I neither had the cash nor the parents that would allow a 16 year old to have such a thing.

My mom had a friend who's whole family was into cars (Jag XK 120, an E type, 1967 427 Corvette...). When I was 16, she owned three Mustangs, a '65 K code, a '66 C code convertible and a '66 coupe with a six cylinder. I ended up being allowed to buy the six cylinder (in 1987) and still have it today. Now, had my mom's friend had three old Camaros at the time, I would probably be over on the Vintage Camaro Forum right now, but I'm perfectly happy where I am.

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
My bio dad is a GM car guy. I wanted to be like him so bad so I wanted a GM product as my first car. Then one day my mom and step dad was going to look at a car for my older brother, a Ford Fairmont. I begged them to take me along and so I got to go. When they were test driving the car I was wondering around the guys shop. His Nick name was "Mustang Randy" he had a yard full of mustangs and a beautiful 65 fastback. When they got back I was looking into the window of my 68 coupe. My mom wondered over and started talking to me about it. She told me to ask how much he wanted for it. I was too nervous. Finally my step dad and Randy made a deal on the Fairmont and wondered over. He could tell I wanted the car and offered it to me for a great price. Granted it needed floors and brakes. I told him I'd have to save a bit more money but I want it. The next weekend my step dad came home with a car trailer. I thought nothing of it when he asked me to go with to help him. But as we made our way closer to Randy's house I started to freak out. I had to give my mom my next three paycheck to pay her back but it was the start of my love of the blue oval. Even my bio dad was excited that I got it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I was about 12, I got the idea in my head that I wanted something "different" for my first car. I whittled it down to 2 categories - either a 40s/50s truck or a 60s muscle car. A Mustang was definitely on the list, but so were Camaros, Chevelles, Corvettes, Cougars, or Fairlanes along with a truck. Both my dad and I were pretty green in the classic car world and didn't have an appreciation for finding replacement parts or how easy a particular car would be to work on - we just wanted something cool we could learn on.

Honestly, the first car I lusted after was actually a 1956 Chevy pickup in a silver blue color just down the road from me. I wanted that SO bad, and it was just rusting away in the owner's yard, but of course he wouldn't sell. Then one day my dad and I were driving to a friend's birthday party and there was my Mustang - a red on red C-code automatic coupe with factory air and console and not much else in the way of options. It didn't run, but it was solid and the owner just wanted it gone so he could work on his new GTO project. I will admit - I liked the car, but it wasn't my ideal - it wasn't a fastback and it wasn't a stick. But, I learned everything I know about working on a car by wrenching on it, and over time I actually grew to love the coupes (although a '69 fastback in Grabber Blue and white interior is still my dream). My dad and I spent countless nights and weekends working on the car to get it to where I could drive it my senior year. We didn't do a perfect job, but what it did do was bring my dad and I closer and gave me memories that I'll never forget and can't wait to pass on to my kids in building their own car with them someday.

Now that I know a little more, I love the older Mustangs because of the accessibility and relative affordability of parts, how easy they are to work on, and how iconic they are. The Mustang is just flat out Americana, and it really changed the automotive history of our country. I think that's really, really cool...and one of the reasons I love having one of the very first ones.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
My first real memory of a Mustang was in 1969 (I was 11). Dad had a 65 that he used as his daily driver. He and I were on the interstate and he asked me if I have ever gone 100 MPH. Before I knew it, we were there. He made sure to say "Don't tell mom."

In 1971 (I was 13) Dad bought the 68. What sold me were the lights in the hood mounted turn signals and it was the first convertible I had ridden in.. It was the first car I ever drove at the age of 15 and 8 months (with my learners.)

In 1975 (I was 17) I had saved up enough $ to buy the 67 for $750.

The rest is history.

We had our wills done a couple of years ago and in the will I left the 68 to my son and the 67 to my daughter.

·
Dimples
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Man, y’all do not disappoint. 50 posts in and a ton of great stories.

For me, it was a little bit of luck that got me started, but that quickly turned into a passion so deep that now, when I close my eyes, I see 65-66 Mustangs.

I saved up my money at 15yo from working at Dominos for a summer and my parents agreed to match what I made to put down on a car. When my dad asked what I wanted, the only thing I could think to say was “Mustang”. With no outside influence, that’s just the car that spoke to me the most.

Here’s where the luck comes in. My dad didn’t involve me in the shopping process at all, which in retrospect is a little weird, but I didn’t know any better. He showed up in a nice 65 6cyl that he picked up for $3,350 (that’s 1991 dollars) and I drove it in high school. I loved that car and learned a lot on it, but ultimately sold it so I could buy my 66 fastback in 1996.

So origin story and it being my first car is part of it, but beyond that, I think I have to boil it down to the pony car proportions, RWD and V8 power. Nothing else comes close. If there were a parallel dimension without Mustangs, I would probably be driving a Challenger or Camaro. (Even though I know they wouldn’t even exist without Mustang)

Along with the proportions, there is something so artistically perfect to me about the sculpting of the sheet metal. The gentle curves of the side, the kick up of the rear quarter, the little upturned ends of the back bumper. It just speaks to my soul.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Sorry, I only made a cheeky reply earlier. My story was at 16 when I got my license, I worked 2nd shift after school in a mill. Knowing I could not keep driving Mom's sweet new Pinto, Dad said "look around" and I'll see if I can help. I found a 1964 Chevy II Nova for $100 on a local lot. It was a 2-door, black with a red velvet roof (I kid you not) and had a 327 someone had butchered up the front crossmember to squeeze it in. That little thing would do a number through that 2 speed Powerglide. My Dad's cousin helped me sand it down and scrape off the crushed velvet roof and we painted it black, put chromed steel wheels on it and some E-70-14s. I was a chick magnet. Even when I had to get under the hood every day and jiggle battery wires to get it to start, I was cool. After a few months though the creaky frame and rough running engine started giving me trouble and Dad shows up one afternoon with a 1965 Poppy Red 6 cylinder coupe and said, "I've set up financing on this, its a better car". So, I sold the Chevy II for $200 bucks and applied it to the Mustang, which was a whopping $700. At about $1.74 and hour, that took me a while to pay off. After a year I bought a stripped down 65 coupe with a K-code and did the spindle/spring/motor/trans/rear swap in a dirt lot beside a service station with a high school buddy. A set of Rocket Mags and some Sonic Maxima 60s/70s later and the love affair began. That car looked like it was right off the showroom floor in 1974 and with a the exception of my wife, was my greatest love affair. Not a day has gone by that I didn't regret selling it back in 1977. I have wanted one ever since and really wanted a fastback (I'm pretty much stuck on 65s), so when my wife got tired of hearing about it, I located my current car in Harrisburg, VA, took a trip up there with the wife, bought it and drove it back home, rear leaking/smoking brake cylinders and all. I look forward to creating a new love affair with this one. I retire in 8 months, let the love begin.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is why I have my mustang

0806181547.jpg

The guy on the right is my dad and the photo is taken on labor day 1977. The car got parked in 1978 so over 40 years later I get the car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I fell in love with Mustangs in the summer of 1982..... I was going into 8th grade and I had just learned to play tennis....every day as my friends and I would walk to the tennis courts we passed a dark blue 1966 coupe that a college student was slowly fixing up. By the end of the summer it was in primer and the interior had been replaced. In high school a friend's brother had a 68 that she drove to school sometimes and I was obsessed (or was it with the girl?)...in my yearbook she actually wrote that she hoped that I got my Mustang one day...then in college a friend got a 66 coupe for Christmas as a Freshmen and that is when I got my first drive in a classic Mustang. I ended up getting my first Mustang on April 1, 1989...it was an Ivy green 1966 coupe with a 6 cylinder engine, standard parchment interior, power steering and an AM radio. I drove that for 6 years through the rest of college and then as I stared out out working. Things came to a crashing halt when I totaled it driving to work one morning. I remember telling my friends that if I didn't have a classic Mustang before I got married, my bachelor party needed to be a hunt to find a car before I tied the knot. I've had my 65 convertible now for 22 years (and I've been married for 18!)

·
Registered
125 Posts
My sister has explained the phenomenon this way: "It speaks to me"

No, she doesn't drive a Mustang. The car that got her ear is a Jaguar F-Type R Coupe (the 550 horsepower model)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually picked the Mustang for (sort of) practical reasons. I've always been into old cars. My first car was 20 years older than me, and while I lived in Sweden, my daily driver was a -63 Volvo, up until I moved to the US. I didn't bring the Volvo with me, and ended up being without a hobby car for 12 years. When I was ready to buy again, I made a list of decently affordable 60s cars that I liked, and started crossing them off. Gas was $4 per gallon at that point, and that pretty much took out the Rivieras and the Thunderbirds, as I was planning on making this a near-daily driver. I'm 6'3" so the -70 or so Corvettes were out, plus I'd really like to have a back seat. Never really cared for Camaros or any single Chrysler product. But the first generation Mustang... I couldn't find any reason not to buy. I think it's a really pretty car, and definitely an American style icon. Bot the cars and parts are cheap and available. There's a back seat, gas mileage is no worse than most recent SUVs. Infinite aftermarket upgrades and tweaks available, and a MASSIVE amount of knowledge accessible, not least right here on this forum. It's the perfect classic.

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
When I was a wee lad and we visited my grandparents in Boone, NC I saw quite a few 65/66 Mustang fastbacks zipping around the mountains. By the early 70's these Mustangs were running jacked up rears with wide azz tires. I loved the look. This love stayed with me.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I was probably about 6, I saw this red car go past my house. asked my dad what it was, turns out it was a '65 coupe. I wanted it instantly. after that I started noticing them riding my bike. there was an early fastback down the street from me under a cover in a driveway ( not too many garages where i'm from), and a few years later my friends parents had a 71 mach 1, green 351c / 3 speed. unfortunately when they were ready to sell it, the new England winters had taken it's toll on the poor car.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts