Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t find my Marti book and was wondering if there is a breakdown on 4 speeds for the 390 GT engine in 1968? Trying to find out if my car had a wide or a close ratio 4 speed in it originally but all the report says is Four Speed Manual Transmission (5). I see on the David Kee Site that there were close and wide ratio transmissions with a Mustang having a 390 engine. I also remember reading on a few occasions people claiming that their cars came from the factory with the close ratio trans. Illustrated Facts book has nothing.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I scored a 67 Fairlane parts car with an untouched drivetrain. It was a 390 "Y" code and it was bolted to a close ratio 4spd.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
For 1968 my Marti "Mustangs By The Numbers" book shows the only way they came was with a wide ratio. If you can check your door code that would be a 5. 6 Was for a wide ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a five but I remember Guy from the 1968 390 GT World Registry said his car had come with the close ratio. Since I’m hunting for one, I wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
As far as I know all 390's had wide ratio.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My 68 390 GT (Dec 31 67 Build) has a close ratio 4sp (RUG AD). The vin is stamped on top of the left ear so I know its the original. The door plate however has a 5 for the tranny code (wide ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don’t happen to have a Marti report do you? Just wondering if the close ratio shows up on there.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My 67"S"code had the 2:78.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The marti report just says Four Speed Manual Transmission. No mention of ratio

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
(Joking...kinda..)

Come on...this is no question...you should be looking for a Tremec TKO!!! :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my car was built on Dec 27th in Metuchen and now has a C6 in it but I always wanted to put a 4-spd back in there. I figured if I were going back to a manual I would do it right or at least almost right. I have a small block wide ratio so I was thinking of just changing the input shaft or upgrading it to the 1 3/8” size. The tag will not be correct but then again the original engine and trans were long gone before I bought the car.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have another question! Where is the shifter located? Is the tailshaft housing like that of a small block trans or like a Fairlane or Mustang 428 trans?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Mine's an April 19th San Jose birthday with a '5'. I've never looked at the tranny's numbers but I'd guess it to be a close ratio.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I went looking into my "info" folder and found a print out I kept from 1999 that along with engine ID tag info, it also had ALL tranny ID's and what their ratio's and cars they went in. It listed 67/68 stangs (cougars would be the same) with RUG-M, M1, M2, M3 all for 390 = wide ratio. Then... has one other '68 listing for 390GT, RUG-AD = "close ratio. Note it did list one of the RUG-M2 as a 390GT as well. Maybe someone got lazy not putting "GT" next to all the "390" names.
All this info came from a web site "wrljet.com" and gave much of the info credit to "Mr FoMoCo". Not a good site anymore.

As for "where is the 4spd shifter" located, I looked at mine, to the rear. I have a RUG-M1, my tag said code "5". Tail housing uses an offset plate that is sold by some vendors. I think Fairlane tailshaft has shifter mounting holes in the wrong place. Had to do with where the floor cut out would be. Send me e-mail if you want a pic of mine. My car is an orig. 4spd "S" vert.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read this concerning the tailshaft housings on another site!

The relocation plate was used due to a surplus of mid mount transmissions. Far greater demand for Mustang/Cougar 4 speed cars than Fairlane/Comet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts