Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rebuilt wide ratio toploader I will consider swapping for someone with a close ratio unit. It's an tagged "RUG-AV" which means it came in a "1970 Mustang 302,351 with wide ratio". It will fit any smallblock Ford application. if you need more info on toploaders see this page.

If you drive on the street or strip, you NEED a wide ratio unit, I don't,.. so I need a close ratio. I'm either going to convert it to a close ratio or swap someone so I thought I'd ask first. It's for a smallblock and I used it in my 66' several years ago. It had the top ear on the driverside welded on by someone many years ago. They did a good job, it's sound and worked for me no problem. You can see the weld but it's on the top and hard to see when it's in the car.

Anyone wanna' swap me? ::

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I just bought all of the parts to do what you want to do, including new max type roller bearings, blocking rings, and a general rebuild kit, along with all of the needed gears. The total was $665 including shipping and the "How To" CD. I got everything from Toploader Heaven. I went with all new parts instead of the used part route.

I decided to redo my own because I knew my trans was brand new inside, with only 5,000 miles on it.

Hope this helps.........Gary.........::

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Gary!

I've rebuilt a few toploaders before and I knew it'd be expensive to convert. ::

But I bet someone out there needs what I have! ::

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I need it....... but cant afford it and dont have what you want to trade :p Want to trade for turbos or a 67 power brake/clutch pedal assembly or..........................? :)

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I tried trading for a close ratio about 4 or 5 months ago, too. There wasn't too much out there, for trading.

A rebuilt one, from a reputable dealer like Toploader Heaven or D. Kee, will cost you about $1200 exchange.....So, that was the ultimate reason I am doing the changeover myself. A shop will do the changeover for about $100 - $150 labor only......

Probably more information than you wanted to know, too......

Gary....::

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I've got an HEH-BX (65 hi-po) box that I might trade. It's got some wear on the dog teeth, but was a decent transmission that I used in one of my cars. Same problem, no good for the street unless you have a 3.91 or better. I think a rebuild with a set of blocking rings and a little TLC on the teeth and it'll be fine for your purposes. Email me direct if you're interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts