Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As the saying goes, it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye… or until someone overcorrects and slams into a guardrail.

Here are five dangerous cars that appear to be designed to ensure a fool and his money are soon parted.

Dodge Viper

The Dodge Viper was the last car to be made without traction control or electronic stability control, two nifty computerized gadgets that can prevent one from crashing due to an accidental over-application of power — which is frightfully easy to do in the V10-powered Viper. No surprise that the attrition rate among these cars is huge….

But don’t listen to us. Shop for your Dodge Viper here.

AC-Shelby 427 Cobra

The 427 Cobra is dangerous for the same reason as the Viper: An excess of power and a shortage of electronic safety nets. But the Cobra ups the danger ante with primitive brakes, insufficient seat belts and open body work. There isn’t even an airbag to give you a fighting chance. Replicas may have somewhat more modern hardware, but a badly handled Cobra is still a tricky beast.

But it won’t happen to you, right? Find your Shelby Cobra here.

Old Porsche 911s

The 911’s design, with the engine behind the rear wheels, is a fundamentally bad idea: Once the rear end breaks loose, it swings around like a pendulum. Porsche spent years trying to mitigate the 911’s dangerous tenancies, but it wasn’t until 1998 with the introduction of electronic stability control (Porsche Stability Management, or PSM) that the problem was largely nullified. (Of course, you can still turn PSM off.) 911s have lots of grip, but drive them too fast and they can quickly result in an untimely demise.

But you can handle it … right? Find your classic Porsche 911 here.

Any muscle car of the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s

Detroit developed powerful engines long before they developed competent suspensions or adequate brakes. Most fire-breathing muscle cars have soggy springs that all but eliminate the option of high-speed directional changes, along with drum brakes that are barely useful to begin with and purely decorative after a few hard stops. Once up to speed, they are more like unguided missiles than cars.

But they sure do look and sound good! Find your classic muscle car here.

Volkswagen Beetle

“What?” you say. “The innocent-looking Beetle wouldn’t hurt a fly!”

Indeed, while flies may be safe in the confines of the Beetle, humans are not. Older Bugs have the same swing-axle suspension that flipped the Corvair on its roof, along with seats seemingly designed to launch occupants out the rear window if the car is rear ended. After his attack on the Corvair, Ralph Nader went after the Beetle (read Small on Safety: The Designed-In Dangers of the Volkswagen). People liked VW more than GM so they didn’t pay attention, but you should.

But it can’t be dangerous … it’s so cute! Find your VW Beetle here.

The Wise Guide team writes about things we think you’ll like, introducing you to great products, services and special deals. We do have affiliate partnerships, so we may earn revenue from the products and services you buy.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
What the hell is this for?
Does any idiot think a 427 Cobra is a family car?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

As the saying goes, it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye… or until someone overcorrects and slams into a guardrail.

Here are five dangerous cars that appear to be designed to ensure a fool and his money are soon parted.

Dodge Viper

You are an administrator and have nothing filled in on your profile!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

The Dodge Viper was the last car to be made without traction control or electronic stability control, two nifty computerized gadgets that can prevent one from crashing due to an accidental over-application of power — which is frightfully easy to do in the V10-powered Viper. No surprise that the attrition rate among these cars is huge….

But don’t listen to us. Shop for your Dodge Viper here.

AC-Shelby 427 Cobra

The 427 Cobra is dangerous for the same reason as the Viper: An excess of power and a shortage of electronic safety nets. But the Cobra ups the danger ante with primitive brakes, insufficient seat belts and open body work. There isn’t even an airbag to give you a fighting chance. Replicas may have somewhat more modern hardware, but a badly handled Cobra is still a tricky beast.

But it won’t happen to you, right? Find your Shelby Cobra here.

Old Porsche 911s

The 911’s design, with the engine behind the rear wheels, is a fundamentally bad idea: Once the rear end breaks loose, it swings around like a pendulum. Porsche spent years trying to mitigate the 911’s dangerous tenancies, but it wasn’t until 1998 with the introduction of electronic stability control (Porsche Stability Management, or PSM) that the problem was largely nullified. (Of course, you can still turn PSM off.) 911s have lots of grip, but drive them too fast and they can quickly result in an untimely demise.

But you can handle it … right? Find your classic Porsche 911 here.

Any muscle car of the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s

Detroit developed powerful engines long before they developed competent suspensions or adequate brakes. Most fire-breathing muscle cars have soggy springs that all but eliminate the option of high-speed directional changes, along with drum brakes that are barely useful to begin with and purely decorative after a few hard stops. Once up to speed, they are more like unguided missiles than cars.

But they sure do look and sound good! Find your classic muscle car here.

Volkswagen Beetle

“What?” you say. “The innocent-looking Beetle wouldn’t hurt a fly!”

Indeed, while flies may be safe in the confines of the Beetle, humans are not. Older Bugs have the same swing-axle suspension that flipped the Corvair on its roof, along with seats seemingly designed to launch occupants out the rear window if the car is rear ended. After his attack on the Corvair, Ralph Nader went after the Beetle (read Small on Safety: The Designed-In Dangers of the Volkswagen). People liked VW more than GM so they didn’t pay attention, but you should.

But it can’t be dangerous … it’s so cute! Find your VW Beetle here.

The Wise Guide team writes about things we think you’ll like, introducing you to great products, services and special deals. We do have affiliate partnerships, so we may earn revenue from the products and services you buy.

Administrator with no profile! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Let's post a thread on our forum for old muscle cars where we call them "widowmakers."

Best. Idea. Ever.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Ditto on it being a load of crap! Anybody can drive any car like an a$$wipe and crash it, even with the "help" of our nanny state government. The super neat things about all these lists is there's always a first and last place, no matter the gap of separation.

·
Registered
319 Posts
People STILL die in car crashes, so until the mortality rate of "safer cars" drops to damn near zero, these cars are just as good as any other car.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
So question remains. Who is that so called administrator and what's his agenda?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't think it's meant that these cars are inherently unsafe and will just collapse and burn, but certain cars are driven more recklessly. All these cars 'cept the Dub have extraordinary power to weight ratios. As for the Beetle, it's heyday was right in the midst of the American land yacht days when "midsize" cars weighed at least twice what the Beetle did.

In any case, a good friend of mine picked up an early Viper at the dealer auction and drove it for about a month. One day he got on it a bit and the damned thing 180'd him before he knew what happened. Mind you this guy was not a rookie when it came to high powered cars. Sold it two days later.

John

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have an AC Cobra kit car with a 625HP 514 crate engine. While super fun to drive it is not a car to take lightly.

·
Registered
801 Posts
HP and driving style aside, I'd have to say this list isn't even close to the top 5 widowmakers. Any old farts remember the Isetta? Single front door that served as entrance and protection. A head on with a 10 speed Schwinn at 8 mph would kill you. 2nd place. Anything produced from 63-95 that's involved in a head on. 3rd place. A moving motor vehicle with an idiot driving it. 4th place. Any motor vehicle. 5th place. Lawn mowers, bicycles, hedge trimmers, milk, raw meat, well, you get the picture.....

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
One of the most exciting things in my life was building a 351c basically a NASCAR engine dropping it in my daily driver 69 GT350 and hitting over 200 MPH. It turned me on like nothing else (better than sex), often back in that day would be cruising places over 150 MPH. Hauling *** around corners and whooping butt on Italian super cars for big money it the Palm Beach area.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Who wrote his tripe, and for what reason? Ever do a brake job on a Chevette? They should have been sold with a coffin for every seat.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Widow maker! Why didn't anyone tell me this before I rebuilt my 347?

Time to quit the hobby and never come to this site again!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
The 911 was only dangerous if you don't know how to drive them... like a pansy abruptly letting off the accelerator going into a long sweeping curve, everyone knows you need to give them more gas!

:cheers:

Insufficient seat belts in the 427 Cobra? I'd trust the Ray Brown belts more than a brand new car.

:cheers:

"along with drum brakes that are barely useful to begin with and purely decorative after a few hard stops." Is the writer serious?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I guess I have to scour the country and relieve all those 427 AC Cobra owners of their widowmakers. After all, a safe society is what this thread is all about. Who wants to join me?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Imagine a Model T, plain glass windshield, gas tank in your lap and band brake in the rear for slowing. No safety belt, roll bar, traction control, ABS, etc, etc. What was Henry thinking? Also what kind if idiot would restore one of these widowmakers and actually drive it?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
The sky is falling, again

So when did Ralph Nader join the forum?

There goes the neighborhood............................................

1 - 20 of 25 Posts