Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this freshly rebuilt engine and was dropping it into my 67 when I realized that the bolt pattern is different than that of the trans. What is going on? Do I have a 400 LB paper weight? I didn't realize there was different 289's running around. If I cannot use this block, since it has been rebuilt, will any of the internals go into my other 289? If so then I will machine my other block and move all the parts over And use it in my convertible.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Is it a 65? or maybe a 260 V8.
How many mounting holes?
May be eaiser to change trans.

G

·
0 Posts
there are 2 types of 289 blocks, 5 bolt and 6 bolt bellhousing mount
Which do you have? casting #'s and casting date would help determine what you have if you cannot tell otherwise

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You have a 63-64.5 289 block. If you can scrounge a 5 bolt bellhousing and block plate for your C-4, you'll be in business! Otherwise, all the internals will swap into a later 289 or 302.

BTW! Cute kids

·
Registered
391 Posts
Several years ago I "scrounged" a five Bolt C-4 bell housing. I was lucky to find one after two weeks trying; I paid $150.00 at the time. Six bolt bell housing are plentiful and much cheaper.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Can you take a high resolution picture of the back of the engine block with your 6 bolt engine plate in the picture for reference...?? If possible, take one shot of the block alone and one shot with the engine plate sitting on it with at least on hole aligned (top ones likely)...

I'd like to post some detailed info on the BP differences between the blocks...

Early 5 bolt blocks are fairly hard to come by, so keep that in mind....

Innards are interchangeable...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts