Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been having minor trouble with nuts backing off and loosening the rocker arms. I finally broke down and removed both valve covers, made sure I was TDC on the compression stroke, got out my copy of Mr. Monroe's book and re-adjusted each and every valve, exactly per the instructions.
I then put fine thread lock nuts on each arm to insure they wouldn't back off again.

Put everything back together and fired her up. Very smooth sounding engine....for about the first thirty seconds. Then it started to run rough, shook very hard, and it sounded like a small guy with a big hammer was inside each valve cover.

This went on for quite awhile (probably much shorter than it seemed), until I was just about ready to shut her down and go get a few beers. Then, almost magically, it quieted right down again. Adjusted the idle and she ran real smooth. Let it go for quite a few minutes with no re-occurence of the problem.

Any ideas? Could an oil passage have been dry, or temporarily plugged? Gremlins haunting my engine? I'm at a loss, and just hoping it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hydraulic lifters have to reach their equilibruim for the new adjustment. That sounds like what your lifters were going through. This is why I always prefer to adjust them with the engine running. As long as they were adjusted properly, and the nuts don't come loose, you should be good to go: :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts