Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 Mach 1 with 428 has a vibration between 40-50 MPH. It seems to be coming from the back. I checked U joints and they are good. Could the drive shaft be out of whack? It clears up faster than 50. Any advice? Thanks. (tires are new and balanced- at least I think they are balanced.)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Very recently I had two new tyres put on my car. Tomorrow I'm going back to the tyre fitter because I have a vibration at 95-105 kph that wasn't there before the new tyres were fitted.

The funny thing is that it seems to be happening to the right front wheel only, but only when one of the new tyres is put on it. I might have a wheel problem or something else. The easiest thing to check is the wheel-balance. If that doesn't make any difference, I'm going to check the suspension.

I'll let you know if rebalancing the wheels makes any difference...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
It mght be driveshaft vibration or wheel/hubcap vibration.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had the same exact problem with my 65. At 60 mph, I had a nasty vibration between 60-65 mph. Outside of this range there was no vibration. Turned out to be a bad drive shaft yoke and tailshaft bushing in the transmission. I took my driveshaft in for a balance job and new yoke then pulled the tail housing on the tranny and took it to Aamco for a new bushing. Yoke was $60, driveshaft balance was $35 and bushing was $20. Now she's smooth as silk at all speeds.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the rear tires for 'bumps' wierd wear...or even a snapped belt., I've had all of these at one point or another over the ten years I've had my stang... and each performed the symptom you describe.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts