Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You gotta know your Stangs for this one:

What's the difference between a '67 and a '68 lower control arm (different part #'s and listed differently in catalogs)?

I am looking at a complete disk setup from a '68 cougar xr7 (spindles, calipers, power booster, pedal, dist. block, lines, master cylinder) and I am concerned the spindles won't bolt right on because of the difference in the lower control arms between '67 and '68.

I have gotten mixed signals, and have been told the spindles are different between the two years. Is this due to the difference in lower control arms, ball joint, etc? If so, can I just buy '68 lower control arms?

I just want to make sure this is a reasonable disc brake conversion before I spend any more money on this setup.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Difference in the spindles is in the type of disc brake caliper (4-piston vs single).

Difference in the lower control arms has to do with strut rod mounting.

Short answer - you can use 68 spindles/brakes in your 67 car with 67 control arms/balljoints.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
68 used a hockey stick shaped strut rod and a 67 had a straight strut rod. the 68 was suppose to help front geometry . So lower control arm on a 67 has a different bolt pattern than the 68-70 (One year only) and are usually priced higher. I always go with the 68's you can up grade for what the 67s extra cost Gary

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like what I am hearing! I was concerned, but thanks to great enthusiats like you, I will come through this like a champ!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts