Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 1975 Ford radio will fit properly into a 1969 Mustang? It would be awesome if there was a site that compared all the 60's and 70's radios for differences and range of year they would bolt into. I haven't been able to find one. These radios are a confusing lot. They look similar but I know there are dimensional differences. I would like to pick up a period correct radio, install an aux. input, and put it into my 69 Mach 1.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know I put a late 70's in my 70 and it fit, knobs were just a little different

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input imnutz. I'm pretty sure if it works in a 70, it'll work in a 69.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm crossing my fingers now. I just bought a NOS 1975 radio off eBay. Sure hope it bolts right into my 69 Mach 1.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
i just put an 84 in my 69.

it didn't fit.

the base was hitting the various locations on the original bracket. it's as if the main part was just a little bigger than the 69.

i had to form three separate pieces (i used 1/8") to make it work. modifying the 69 bracket seemed like more worked than making new ones.

it was a little tricky because you have to get things aligned properly (also a tight fit) and the left and right side brackets have to be different. i think it took about half a day for me to do.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input buckeyedemon. Hopefully my 75 radio will fit better than your 84 did.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I just have to find some information on installing an auxiliary input jack on it. Anyone run across any info on that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts