Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine will give me the front disk brake setup from his old 81 T-bird if it will work in the 65 coupe. I need to visit the car with him to check things out. I have my drum brake spindles removed from the drums and can use them for a measurement reference to see if the idea even has half a chance of working. I don't know yet how the upper/lower control arms are configured on the T-bird. Also need to check if the wheels are 4 or 5 lug. The T-bird is a V-8 model if that matters. I have a C code coupe with the five luggers. I imagine one issue would be dealing with the outer tie rod ends also.

Just curious if someone has done this conversion or similar that was a non-granada change over. I've been eyeballing the countryside so far since I've been touring crops in the area and the old granadas and monarchs are rarer than I thought. (He even offered me the 302, which runs, and the automatic tranny in it, but I'll probably pass as I already have three engines and a manual tranny.)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The answer is no. The '81 T-bird is based on the Fairmont (Fox ) chassis and has a modified MacPherson strut front suspension. The spindle will not bolt onto a '65 Mustang - unless you adapt the MacsPherson strut to your car - but then you will find the tie rod arms are in front while the '65 Mustangs are in back of the front axle. The T-bird rotor is small (10") and they're 4 bolt. The spindle has integral mounts for the floating caliper.

Sorry about the bad news but on the bright side, these brakes are crap - Ford finally had to upgrade them a little bit on the 5.0L Mustangs and went with marginally better 11" rotors on the '87 Mustangs.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Dean. I didn't realize the T-bird uses the MacPherson strut, but now I do. I'll keep scouring for granadas as that system will work. OR just rebuild the drums on the car and use a dual reservour in place of the old mason jar single reservour. Decisions, Decisions.....

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
No problem, just be sure you find a '77-'80 Granada/Monarch. The '81-'82 Granadas are Fox chassis cars too and have modified Machpherson strut front ends. Oh, if you you do find a Granada/Monarch, don't be surprised to see drum brakes in front sometimes. It surprised the heck out of me - I think it was a 4 cylinder car.

Good Luck!

Dean T

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
What about the '78 T-Bird? My grandma has one sitting in her yard (351M engine IIRC) that I can get cheap. Or does it use the same setup as the '81? Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The '78 is not a Fox base car and I think it uses the big Ford front suspension system (upper and lower control arms with a spring on the lower control arm squashed against the frame). I don't think it would be easily adaptable because of difference in ball joint and tie rod ball joint size - but now I'm totally guessing.

If you find out, could you let us know? It would add to our collective knowledge! *G*

Regards all,

Dean T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.