Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a v-8 8" diff for $100. The problem is that it's from a 67 and I have a 66. The 67 is 1" wider which gives it 1/2" on each side. I'm kind of particular about rims, and when I switch, I want it to look nice. I realize that I will have to add 1/2" to any back spacing on rims I buy, but what I want to know is: Do you think rims will look ok once I get to that much back spacing. I'm only going to run 225s probably at the most, but I want it to look nice, would I be better just gutting my 6 cylinder rear end and having everything replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I may be a little out of my league here.....isn't it the 67 rear housing that is wider not the pumpkin?

If we are talking about the housing, the spring mount plates will also be in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Also, didn't 6cyl cars come with an 8" anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
With additional backspacing, if nothing else about a rim is changed, the face side of the rim will end up with a bit shallower apperance if I'm not mistaken. Probably not the 'look' you trying for.

If you intend to stick with the 6 cyl drive train except for the rear end, you will probably have an issue connecting the drive shaft to the pumpkin input shaft (different size u-joint), and then there is the matter of 5 bolt axle's verses the 4 bolt for a 6 cyl. These parts are not interchangeable.

Don't know what ratios are around for the 6 cyl differential, but the choices are probably thin since it is not the differential of choice for any kind of performance operation.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
First, 6 cylinder cars did not come 8" rear ends. They were 7 1/2" units that were not a removable carrier like 8" & 9".

The spring location is the same and it is a direct bolt in as long as you get the spring plates and U-bolts, as the axle tube is a larger diameter.

I have a 67 rear end in my 66. I think it is 2" wider, not 1". I have 225 60 x 14" tires and I get some significant rubbing on the drivers side. I have a 66 housing and axle sitting in my garage waiting to be cleaned up and installed.

I have lived with mine for 17+ years and 100,000 miles so it can be done.

I would go for the 67 over putting $ into the 6 banger unit. You would have an easier time selling the 67 unit once you find a 65-66 unit. (Complete 65-66 units are not that hard to find for $150).

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
6 cylinder cars came with a 7 1/2. The 1/2 will not make a noticable difference. A 8" will work fine, bolt right up. I put a 8" rearend out of a 74 Maverick into my 66 with no problems. The 66 was a 6 cylinder car until I converted it over to a V8. The old driveshaft worked also.
I guessing that you still have the 6 cylinder in the car & are doing this for the 5 lug?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
66, thanks for that info. I think I will just follow my own credo of doing it right the first time. I'll either find an 8" housing and rebuild it, or just buy an 8" or 9" already done.
Everybody else, sorry for the lack of info. I already have a 302/c-4 combo, but am going to change the front brakes to SSBs and want to do the rear end at the same time. Of course this will mean new rims at the same time. It will be an expensive time for sure.

Thanks, everyone, for the info and quick replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts