Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of puting a 351 Windsor into my 66 coupe. Will it fit? If so, what mods are needed?

Also, if it fits, will it have a negative effect on handling or steering?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I too am thinking of engine swaps. I have been told that a 351W will bolt up the same as a 289 or 302. It will be a little heavier, but you could use heavy duty springs. I am assuming you have a 289. Or do you have a six?

·
Registered
262 Posts
i did this swap years ago and it was the best performance upgrade i ever did.used a 351w 4bbl 290 horse.it will bolt right in,i used stock 69 exhaust manifolds because headers weren't available then. the car was as much fun to drive as my boss 302,i wouldn't worry about weight i'm not sure but i don't think a 351 will weigh much more than a 125 lbs more than a 289.larry

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am in the process of doing this myself. If you have a V8 setup already, the brackets are the same, but the rubber mounts may be different for the 66. My 67 uses the same rubber mounts for all small blocks, so there was no difference. For my currrent conversion I bought a pair of used brackets off a 70 grande for 40 bucks (all 65-70 Mustang/Grande V8 brackets are be the same)and a new set of rubber mounts.
If you are converting from a 6, like I am, check out these sites. They are two of the best all-inclusive, accurate sites I found for conversions:
66's http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special/6to8.htm
67's
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special/67I6tov8.htm

The 351 block has the same mounts as the 289/302, but is 40 lbs heavier. If you switch from a 302 to 351, watch the inlet for the water pump. Use a 302 pump with the inlet correct for your radiator on the 351 or you will need to pay a rad shop to move the lower radiator hose.
C

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The short answer is yes, it will fit. And...if the car will be driven only gently, you could get away with very few other mods. Before I go any further, let me also add that this topic has been discussed hundreds of times here over the years, and a search on "351w" will yield hours and hours of reading. Lotsa people have done it, but lotsa people have made mistakes, and have ended up with cars that are not as safe and reliable as a stock Mustang, IMO.

What you should understand is that Ford engineers knew that Windsors were MUCH more torquey than 302s and 289s and every windsor-powered car came with a 9-inch rear. That kinda gives you a clue as to how hard these cars can be on a drivetrain that was never intended to be hooked up behind an engine with so much torque.

Let me also add that my car came with a bone-stock "H-Code" engine that had been added by a PO, a 20-yr-old, with a lead foot, it seems. He had even plumbed the car into the stock A-code exhaust, with its wimpy log exhaust manifolds. With all those restrictions, this guy had managed to do the following damage with that 2v, low compression Windsor:
* Completely fried the 3.00:1 8-inch rear end.
* Broken 2nd and 3rd gears and BENT the MAINSHAFT in the toploader wide-ratio 4-speed.
* Broke one of the early stud-style engine mounts
* Tore the transmission mount

So....I believe if you will be putting in a windsor that has been updated for more power, especially if you expect more than 350 flywheel horse power, you should beef up a number of systems on the car - so that the thing will perform efficiently, safely, and reliably.Here's a list of some of the things I did, when I "re-did" the installation of the windsor in my car (Which has an estimated 360 hp and 400 lbs of torque):
* 3-row G-core radiator
* new HD springs - the W weighs about 75lbs more and your springs are probably worn out, anyway.
* Disk brakes on the front (mine had 'em already)
* bigger front sway bar along with export brace and monte carlo bar (nose-heavy, powerful cars put more stress on the unibody).
* Rebuild/replace all worn transmission components using new gears/shaft and a Dan Williams road-race rebuild kit.
* HD 10.4-in Clutch. Probably coulda used an 11-inch clutch and flywheel, but I would have run into clearance problems with the exhaust.
* New 66-style through-bolted motor mounts along with a new tranny mount. Some people even do big-buck TCP mounts.
* Rebuild driveshaft
* 9-inch. 4-spider trak-loc rear end with HD springs.
* Purpose-built headers (you could also use Windsor cast units)
* Custom-built 2.25-in exhaust (to match the larger-than-stock carb and headers - some say 2.5 is the way to go)
* rear brakes from a 68 big-block car (2.0 shoes, instead of 1.75 - not neccessary, but nice to have on a car that can probably go 140).

I wanted a car that would be as reliable as it was when it was an A-code engine. You could do it on the cheap, but I wouldn't recomend it. I have a list of other stuff I've updated on the car, too, but these are what I considered essential. JMHO, though... ::

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Forget that Windsor, go with a Cleveland ::

You have received all good advice. Brakes, Suspension, and other drive train compenents. Yes you can put the motor in for under $100 or so (plus the cost of the motor itself) but then all your other compenents will be suspect and at risk. Brakes, Suspension, and other drive train compenents. The installation itself can be done on a Saturday and with any luck you'll be driving that nite, or sunday for sure. But it is best to ensure the rest of the car is there before you do the install. Brakes, Suspension, and other drive train compenents. That way, when you put the pedal down 3 miles from your house you won't see parts falling of the car ;)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The 351C fits, but the installation process "usually" isn't very pretty to put it mildly ::
I've seen a LOT more hack jobs than I'd like to think about.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all this usefull info.

Does anyone have some usefull sites that detail this sort of engine upgrade? or any usefull mustang sites?

Thanks

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
There's some guy name "Mustang Steve" whom many people consider to be the guru of Windsor conversions for early Mustangs. I think his web site is:
www.mustangsteve.com

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
"Will the C4 handle it?"

It depends. A stock C4 would probably be OK with a W that wasn't ever driven hard, but I don't recomend it. C4s are wonderful little gearboxes and can be built to handle just about anything short of 700-hp if you know what you are doing. But stock, the C4 really isn't up to the kinda abuse a hotrod windsor can heap on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts