Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 89 cougar XR7 with a 5 speed (same supercharged 3.8 and tranny as super coupe 225hp and 335 torque)that i'm going to part out.i was wondering if i could swap the tranny into my mach1 351W.i know the trans is a mazda unit but i'm not sure if it would swap in like a T-5 trans would. thanks for any info......i may just have to trade someone my toploader for a good T-5 :0).........jace

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I think you'll find it can be upgraded to work for you. Problem is it needs a new set of gears to toughen it up. Whether this would be cheaper in the long run is the real question. Contact Modern Driveline or search the web for more information. There's a lot of information for you including information about upgrading early T5's to get the strength for high output V8 engines.
http://www.moderndriveline.com/

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
that is a Mazda-sourced unit (my FIL has one). I would not fool with trying to explored uncharted waters here, even if you COULD beef it up, it would be more expensive than a T5.

Get a B-W T5. They work, the aftermarket supports them heavily, prices are competitive, its a proven and well-worn track.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,199 Posts
I recommend selling it. Believe me, there's a market for good used SuperCoupe 5 speeds. Replacements are very hard to find. A friend hunted one for 4 months for his SWMBO's car. I he finally found one for $600(I think), somewhere in New Jersey. If you like, I'll ask him if he's interested in a spare and confirm what he paid for the first one.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
It'll physically bolt up to the 351, but getting it to bolt up under the Mustang is a whole new problem. The trans is a lot longer, and the shifter is way at the back. The shifter would be so far back, you'd have to have someone in the back seat do the shifting for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts