Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 66 steering wheel fit on a 68 shaft?
Any differences in remainder of the steering shaft components like the turn signals?
Not seeing a complete wheel replacement, anyone sell a complete 66 assembly or do I have to get all the components separately?

Details:
My 1968 has an aftermarket (cheap) steering wheel, going for a "sort of" OEM look, hate the 68 wheel, followed closely by my dislike for the 67 leaving the 66 as what looks right to me.

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
Hmmm… The 67 steering wheel was identical in appearance to the 65-66, other than the addition of the big center pad.

The spline shaft never changed on the steering, but the diameter of the column in the 68 was distinctly larger than the 65-66. The turn signal was also quite different, although it could be adapted, there's simply no way to make the center of the wheel larger to match the 68 column.

My personal choice, not even close, would be the Moto~Lita steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I concur with 22GT. I have a Moto Lita on my `66 FB & love it !!

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Yes it can, you will have to get an early turn signal hub and graft the early turn signal kit onto the later column. The diameters of the columns are the same but teh turn signal hub is smaller on the earlier cars. If you google or search on this site, putting a collapsible steering column on an early car (which I did btw) you will find instructions on how to do the grafting. You can keep the wiring the same tucking under teh cover, but its not fun rewiring the plug. Turns out you can pull the lugs out of the plug with a tiny screwdriver to push the tab - if you are careful to rewire it. TAKE PHOTOS! I really do not remember why I had to pull the lugs but I did it to avoid cutting and splicing the wires. I think it was because the wires went internal on the early steering column and the actual plastic plug would not fit through the hole. I "think" the plugs were teh same

Good luck

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,342 Posts
So, best option for a steering wheel in a 65 if you want something besides the solid shaft? Later model collapsible that you modify to fit? Aftermarket tilt column? Cut original and put in a rag or universal joint? Inquiring minds want to know. Not interested in the probabilities of an actual "spear-o-matic" experience, just in doable solutions. By the way, I agree on the Moto-Lita, that's just dead sexy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm… The 67 steering wheel was identical in appearance to the 65-66, other than the addition of the big center pad.

The spline shaft never changed on the steering, but the diameter of the column in the 68 was distinctly larger than the 65-66. The turn signal was also quite different, although it could be adapted, there's simply no way to make the center of the wheel larger to match the 68 column.
Ya, it is that big center pad that I do not like in the 67, but that does bring up a question.
Does the diameter of the 67 column match the 66, or the 68?
I could put a 67 on and then do something else with that center pad.
Would a 66 horn center fit a 67 ?
Guess I need a pile of old wheels and just do some stare and compares.

My current aftermarket has a bell shaped thing under the wheel that seems to convert the larger 68 column to a smaller diameter, like those in the following link.
Wonder if I can re-use that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts