Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read where a 69/70 tank will drop into a 68. Is this true? what other mods have to be done (shorten the filler tube?). The 6-7 mpg I am getting with the CJ makes me want an extra 4-5 gallons of gas plus my tank has a dent in it.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Yes, I have a 1970 22-gallon tank in my fastback. You will have to modify the filler neck a bit and the tank will sit about 2 inches higher. You'll also need to use the correct fuel gauge for the tank size. There are some pictures on my website of the tank install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Use a 72 (i think) they are 22 gallon tanks. You will have to mod the filler neck, and as mentioned remember to use the correct sender for the tank... David F.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
A 1970, not a 1972. I believe there are more problems with fitting a 1972 tank in a 68 (have never seen it done) and the 1970 is a 22-gallon tank that drops right in.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Here is how the stock filler lined up when I put a '69 tank in my '68:
http://photographiti.com/cars/misc/filler1.jpg

I had to bend the tank inlet back to make it more upright and then I took about an inch out of the filler pipe at the top (slice out an inch and weld everything back together.) That moved the filler pipe toward the rear and it lined up better with the tank. Forum members recommended bending the pipe, but it just wouldn't bend without going flat (had to replace the first one - - then immediately chopped up a brand new one!) It isn't perfect but it works pretty well. Looking back, it wasn't worth a couple of extra gallons of gas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A 1970, not a 1972. I believe there are more problems with fitting a 1972 tank in a 68 (have never seen it done) and the 1970 is a 22-gallon tank that drops right in.
Oops, youre right, just looked it up. I did use a 70 tank in my 68, sorry bout the wrong info....

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Haven't tried the 69, but my 64 has the 70 tank w/ 22 gal. All I did was cut 2" off the filler neck and use the stock rubber hose and the 70 sending unit. All my early cars were retrofitted- 65 & 68. With an OD, it gets close to 500 miles before filling up! ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts