Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a dark block 427 built at this time and plan to run a centri blower. I know the 6R80's are pretty tough already, and 6 speed auto sounds very nice. I'd like a standalone controller and paddle shifters. Can't seem to find any good info on putting this trans in a classic. I believe it would need an adapter to fit behind a SBF. Oh and what aluminum drive shaft should I get to have modified with work with a 6R and my 8.8 rear ?? Always planned on a 4R70w until I started looking at cost to make it hold 1K HP, and now a six speed auto is sounding really good. I see fox bodies pulling off the 6R and loving it. Any advise / help ??

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Never heard of anyone running this trans in an early car. I would start with adjustable Ron Morris style motor mounts to get the motor and trans combo low in the car. Then cut it till it falls in, weld it so it stays. You're gonna want to keep your driveline angles in mind when fitting the trans. Floor surgery might be needed. And at an estimated 1k hp, you're gonna need a custom driveshaft made.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you think I’d necessarily need a giant oil pan with my combo that would hit the cross member etc if I lowered the engine with adjustable engine mounts ?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Adapting the 6R80 to a SBF is the first big hurdle....

Search the forum for "6R80" to see the body surgery required to shoehorn it into an early model Mustang. I think somebody here was doing it, I just can't recall who. Plan on fabricating a new firewall and tunnel. If you pull it off, take lots of photos and share them.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just saw some pics doesn't look like too much tunnel surgery required. Is there a tunnel floor section somewhere that I can buy to have wended in rather than custom fab it all ?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
I just saw some pics doesn't look like too much tunnel surgery required. Is there a tunnel floor section somewhere that I can buy to have wended in rather than custom fab it all ?
No. To even get a stock tunnel you have to buy then entire floor pan.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
That transmission is large. It will definitely require cutting the tunnel. Are you sure you can mate it to a 427? Do they make a stand-alone controller for a 6R80?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts