Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting my 289 in my 65 back together. Previously I was running a 71 302 in it. I would like to transfer my parts from the 71 this way the pulleys will line up as had previously . The pulley on the crankshaft from the 71 is a different width than the 65 and its a 4 hole as apposed to the 3 hole on my 65 HB. Can I just take the HB off the 71 and use it instead? If not I'll have to figure out different width/spacers for the alignment of the alternator and the power steering pump.

Thanks for any advice,

Dean

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
The '65 and '71 harmonic balancers are both 28oz. but you also run into the problem of left side vs right side water pump inlet. The '70 and later left side pumps are longer or shorter (I don't recall which) than the '69 and earlier right side pumps and you will run into alignment problems mixing pulleys from different years.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The '65 and '71 harmonic balancers are both 28oz. but you also run into the problem of left side vs right side water pump inlet. The '70 and later left side pumps are longer or shorter (I don't recall which) than the '69 and earlier right side pumps and you will run into alignment problems mixing pulleys from different years.

ok thanks for the heads up. The fact that I have a 65 pump with a timing cover to match - ugh I'll have to find out thanks again.

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
You need to use the entire front dress off either the 65 or the 71, harmonic balancer included. You can't mix and match those two years, nothing will work together.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
You CAN, and you could even use a heavy 351W balancer, but you'll probably best use a timing tape, or re-mark the balancer to be able to have a scale that works with your pointer. Also, if the elastomer on the '71 balancer looks worn at all you might as well just spring for the correct one. :)

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I'm putting my 289 in my 65 back together. Previously I was running a 71 302 in it. I would like to transfer my parts from the 71 this way the pulleys will line up as had previously . The pulley on the crankshaft from the 71 is a different width than the 65 and its a 4 hole as apposed to the 3 hole on my 65 HB. Can I just take the HB off the 71 and use it instead? If not I'll have to figure out different width/spacers for the alignment of the alternator and the power steering pump.

Thanks for any advice,

Dean
I am a little confused. If you already had the 302 with the 4 bolt balancer in your car were you using the drivers side outlet water pump with the correct radiator? If so all of it will bolt onto your 289. CVF sells conversion pulleys if you are mismatching parts but I like to keep it simple so if you are using the 4 bolt balancer use the drivers side outlet pump and radiator. if not use the 3 bolt style balancer with the correct pulleys and the passenger side outlet. When using the 3 bolt balancer some have a recessed area for the lip on the early crank pulley to sit on. Also the drivers side water pump is 1/4" longer then the passenger side water pump. Clear as mud?

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
It's the inlet into the water pump that moved from the right side to the left side. The outlet from the water pump is the timing cover itself.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
yes it is the radiator outlet and the waterpump inlet but everyone knows what is meant. They have been called both ways for decades

·
Registered
36,555 Posts
I think in the long run you would be WAY better off dressing it correctly as a 65 289. The 65-69 brackets and pulleys are quite common, and all of it is available in repro.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys - yeh this build is sapping my enthusiasm. 2 years in the making. I wanted to use a 65 block/heads. Make it period correct . But I now know more about the running changes that Ford has put in for pumps/balancers than I ever wanted to know lol. If I go ahead keep the 65 config I will have to change the radiator and the alternator and power steering attachments/spacers. If I change the balancer and put on the 71 water pump and cover then I can save some time and money (I think). I will need to redo the gaskets and that is at least 2 days waiting for parts since these gaskets are rarely stocked in my area.

I'm running out time - We only have a month and 1/2 more to drive before winter will set in - I hope to be driving it before then.
I'll change them out as I go to a more correct config in the future except I have roller rockers which won't work with standard valve covers I have..

I appreciate the info and advice.,

Thanks
Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts