Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....bolt up to my '69 351W. I know the mid 80's t-5's will...but I ran across a parts car and didn't know about the fit.
Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
967 Posts
McLoed is building a bellhousings to do just that however I don't think that they are available yet. Without that special bell there is no way that the 96 cobra trans will bolt up to 351.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
96 Cobra & GT used a T45 5-speed, which has the bellhousing cast as part of the transmission case, not detachable. The mod motors use a different bellhousing pattern than the 289/302/351, so...

NO, it will not work.

T-45 Tech Page

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
Yes, I seem to remember reading that as well about Mc Leod. IIRC, the difference between the mod and the w bellhousing has mostly to do with the starter location.

But anouther big problem in using the T45 is that it is designed to use a electronic speedo. So the pick up is completely different as we're use to. They don't use a drive and driven gear to operate the transducer, they use a star wheel and the pick up is perpendiculat to that wheel, meaning that there is no way in Chevy land that you're going to use or make a gear drive mechanical speedo work! Electronic only!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Got more info on the McLeod??? I'm curious how they're doing this, since the bell is part of the T45 case??? Now, I know they were doing special bellhousings to bolt OTHER transmissions to Mod Motors, but I hadn't heard about vice-versa....

McLeod Modular Bells Footnotes: 3. THESE BELLHOUSINGS CANNOT ADAPT TO TREMEC 3650 OR T45 TRANS. THE TRANSMISSION CASE IS PART OF BELLHOUSING.

::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts