Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow mustang enthusiast, when I built the Mach 1 I never intended to put in a stereo system. 23 years later I have changed my mind. I have rewired the entire car my way and have installed many relays and toggle switches. The reason I say this is because the radio area and the heater control area has become my [censored] pit control panel. The compact disc player that I have purchased will not go into the dash. I refuse to install it under the dash. So my question is... will it play in the vertical position if I install it in the counsel arm rest between the seats? If it will not play in that position then I will be forced to mount it in the glove box. Thank you one and all. Jeff

Web address to see the Mach 1 http://members8.clubphoto.com/bob504438/941107/guest.phtml

·
Registered
758 Posts
Some home units are sensitive to location and orientation, but automotive, slot-feed CD players are heavily shock-mounted and should have no trouble playing a disc in any orientation. There is a chance that the shock dampening on some models is optimized to work with the unit flat.

Best way to tell is try it - jury-rig it into place with a couple of speakers attached and see if the loading mechanism works okay and if moderately rough driving bothers playback.

If that one doesn't tolerate odd mounting, there are others that will.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you already have the unit, check with the manufacturer. If you don't have the unit, get one that will play vertically.

Just about all electronic devices have a proper way to play and not. With head and cd units, vertical mounting depends just as much on the dampening and mechanical aspects of playing the cd as it does with proper ventalation from the heat syncs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts