Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it fit my 69? I am building a 408. I bought the TKO and the guy is offering me the Lake Wood bell housing. I just want to make sure it's the correct depth, width, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not sure if your asking if it will fit the body , or the tranny. But the questions your asking are the dimensions needed for the tranny to fit.

So are you asking if its the correct bell for your motor tranny combo? If so, it would be a matter of knowing the part number. I had about a dozen new ones and sold them earlier in the tear. If I recall , the part number was 15202 and was for a 302/351 /tko, with cable pull clutch.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I know Lakewood does make a scattershield that fits your application, but you'd want to double check the part number before purchasing.

I looked at the Lakewood scattershields, but I ended up purchasing a McLeod scattershield instead. The Lakewood product needs to be aligned with special dal pins so the transmission input shaft is in alignment with the engine crankshaft. The McLeod piece does that work before shipping the unit, so it's a more simple install.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
garner67 said:
I know Lakewood does make a scattershield that fits your application, but you'd want to double check the part number before purchasing.

I looked at the Lakewood scattershields, but I ended up purchasing a McLeod scattershield instead. The Lakewood product needs to be aligned with special dal pins so the transmission input shaft is in alignment with the engine crankshaft. The McLeod piece does that work before shipping the unit, so it's a more simple install.
Actually the alignment needs to be done anytime you use a scattershied: to be perfectly honest, a stock bellhousing would benefit just as much from being properly aligned as a scattershield will. The need for the alignment does not come from the sccattershield, the scattershields are actually made to closer tolerances than the engine blocks are: that's where the alignment issues arise. But I have installe 4 scattershields on my car and never actually needed to align any of them, they were all within spec already: the mcleod that I used was actually the farthest out, however it was still within spec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts