Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the block the same as the older 302? Is it just a drop-in or are there any problems? Anyone done this before?
thanks
-Dan

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The run of 5.0 motors usually suggested is the 87-93. I forget what it is about the '94, but there is some reason this motor is not suggested for use in our older stangs.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Oh, and you asked if anyone has done this... I'm running a '87 5.0 in my '66 Fastback, and I'll pick up a brand new 5.0 345 HP Aluminum Headed Ford Crate Motor for my Sons '66 Coupe today.

The 345 HP Long Block package is hard to beat at $2,900.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It is because the wire harness' are different between the 93 and 94+. The 86-93 uses an airflow sensor measures the airflow to know how much fuel to supply. 94 and up does much more than that. Stick with 85-93.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It is because the wire harness' are different between the 93 and 94+. The 86-93 uses an airflow sensor, which measures the airflow to know how much fuel to supply. 94 and up does much more than that. Stick with 85-93.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Wiring harness is only a concern if you're swapping the Fuel Injection over too.

As far as the basic engine block, they are VERY similar - slight differences in balancing, and the clutch pivot hole was eliminated (if your car is a stick). Fuel pump eccentrics, oil pan, dipstick, etc all have minor changes also.

Short answer - yes you can swap a 94 5.0 in place of an older 302, with a little bit of work. (My 65 has a 97 5.0 block/forums/images/icons/wink.gif).

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Heck if Ford can shoehorn a 428 cj in a 69 engine bay (shock towers were modified for this and are smaller profile than 65-66's shock towers)

You can definitely go for a 351 or 5.8 get some cubic inches!!!

G

·
I don't think you can use the manual transmission from those cars...they changed the shape of the T5 so it could fit the new body style.

Maybe the bell housing is different and different bolt patterns. That I'm not sure of.

Slade

G

·
I don't think you can use the manual transmission from those cars...they changed the shape of the T5 so it could fit the new body style.

Maybe the bell housing is different and different bolt patterns. That I'm not sure of.

Slade

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't quote me, but I believe they switched to the T45 in 94, and that's why the block won't bolt up to an old style c4 tranny...

If I were you I'd be looking for an 89-93 5.0... I'm fairly sure there were some differences in the accessories too, if you are planning on a complete take out motor.

-M

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I remember reading an article where they used an intake from 94/95 to gain some more clearance under the hood ... on a FI application of course. So it fits, sounds like wiring is a little more difficult.

I will tell you this, I know a guy with a '95 5.0 and the thing is a total dog... he has piled money into it and was really disappointed to see my nearly stock 2000 GT tailights all night long (when I still owned it). Don't know whats up with those late motors but he's having trouble getting those 88-93 numbers from it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks a lot for the reply's guys. So what I'm getting from all this is basically any 87-93 engine should bolt right in, yes? Also, does anyone know how much hp the 5.0 puts out stock, and how much a 302 puts out? And which one would be easier and/or cheaper to milk more power out of?
thanks again
-Dan

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
the short answer is yes. A 5.0 block is basically the same as a 302 and 289. There are some minor differences in things like the clutch cable mount and external balancer weight but basically they are the same.

The 89-92 5.0 HO's have a roller cam, forged pistons and rods, better heads. After 93 they didn;t have the forged pistons. 89-92 mustangs also have MASS air computers. the lincoln mark VII had the same engine but speed density computers ($300 to upgrade). AFR bolted a set of there heads and tried to blow the engine up with nitrous. They hit close to 600 HP and they reached the max horsepower for nitrous injected gasoline engine and still had not blown the engine up. These engine supercharge with 6 psi with no other upgrades to the mustangs.

I got a Mark VII at auction for $600 and somebody else here also got one for that price. The lincoln has an aod transmission. If money matters to you there is close to $600 in parts you can sell from it. If you just want a standard 5.0 i saw a real nice one in a continental for $100. The beauty of these 1990ish fords is the the color coat/clearcoat paint jobs didn't hold up at least here in georgia so they have next to no value at auction. The lincoln also had air suspension, computer dash, leather seats that all cost about $1,000 to fix. The lincolns are like the new granada's, the only people that want them only want them for there parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts