Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just offered a wrecked Mustang SVT, with a fully running drive train, for $3,000.00. The car car has aprox 1,000 miles on it. It is wrecked in the rear and the roof is caved in. The question is, can I put the engine, trans and rear in a 67 or 68 body, when I find one?

Any input would be helpful, thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Mag I subscribe to is doing one. You'll be the Red Cross' best friend as much blood as you'll give! Really have to move the towers but it's a cool looking engine in an early 'Stang!

·
Registered
391 Posts
You might consider buying a tired late model V-6 car (maybe a convertible) and convert it to a SVT. That is basicly what Saleen does for his S351. All the SVT parts should move right over and could make a fun project with minimum headaches.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
No problem. Although, I'd leave out swapping the rear. I think it's independent, and would be a major headache. You could probably part it out, along wih .

I believe the DOHC 4.6 is wider than a big block. Here's an article about shaving the shock towers to gain clearance for headers. It was performed on a '69, but the same logic holds true for a '67/68.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Hey, you could sell the parts you dont need off the car if it already has not been striped. $3000 is a bargin! If you dont go for it, could I have the guys #??? Is it a stick or auto? Thanks for any reply......

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You didn't say whether its a 5.0L (Cobra to '94) or a 4.6L from a later Cobra. Teh 5.0L is a drop in, the 4.6L is a lot of work as noted. You have to pull the shock towers, make new frame rails, use the late model front suspension, etc. Ie., a real big job.

Carl

G

·
0 Posts
I've seen the 96-98 DOHC 4.6 from the Cobra in a 67 with no modifications to the shock towers. It looks easier than a Cleveland.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts