Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased Eldelbrock top end kit #2092 for my 351w in my 69 mustang. But in reading the fine print I learned this may not fit using a stock hood on some mustang models. I called and they said the kit comes with an air Gap intake that's 5.75 height. I ask about using a dropped air cleaner, They don't recommend it as it would starve the air flow. They said I could switch out the intake with another one but this would translate into a big performance loss.

Does anyone know if using Eldelbrock air gap Intake #7581 on my 351w would fit under my 69 fastback with a stock hood?
Or is there a creative low profile style air cleaner out there that would solve all my concerns ?.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have the Air Gap on my 351w in a 69. I had to use a drop air cleaner AND cut the stock (3" ???) air filter down about a half inch (maybe a touch more) to get it to fit. I haven't searched for a lower profile air filter, because its not permanently on the road yet. I've driven the car, and it seemed fine as is for regular driving, but you have to wonder if air flow would be an issue at high rpms.

Ultimately I think I'm going to get some of the adjustable motor mounts to drop the engine to get back some clearance. Or find a dropped air cleaner with a bigger drop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard the Air Gap intake was more hype then gain in engine performance. Is it really worth the hassle of trying to get it fit under a stock hood. Isn't there a lower profile intake available without a big loss ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I called Eldelbrock Tech hot line and they suggested to avoid issues with fit under a stock hood they recommended I use there Torker 11 Intake #5081 but it says it’s Basic Operating RPM Range is 2,500-6,500 and said I will loose some low end Torque. Is this something I should be concerned about ?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Get the regular performer rpm. It won’t be hardly any performance difference.

What’s your target rpm range for the motor?
If you don’t plan to run it much above 6000 rpm the Performer 351w will work and definitely fit under the hood.
When my 70 had a 351w it had a performer intake, 1 inch spacer, Edelbrock carb, and a standard base air cleaner with 2” filter. All fit great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Air gap Intake deck height is 5.75 The RPM Performer intake suggested has a deck height of 4.80
They both have the same operating RPM range of 1500 -6500 This looks like it will be a better choice for fit without modification of some kind. I appreciate your feedback or any other suggestions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts