Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After redoing the front suspension a few months back, the alignment shop told me the shock towers were caving inwards and they couldnt align it properly (though I had driven it for several years before without having an alignment, and had no drift, tire wear, etc). Now I have noticable excess wear on the inside of my tires. Will installing only an export brace fix this? Or will I need a monte carlo bar also? If I do install these parts, will it then need a new alignment? And finally :: is there any way to go about fixing this alignment problem myself (rather than bring it back to the shop $$) to save my tires now?

TIA

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think it will help. What you should do is jack up the front of the car by the front cross member under the engine
and then let it si like that for a few hours, or better yet a day, this may flex the towers back to specs(you'll more than likely have to do this to install an E-Brace anyway).
Also you could try to go to another alignment shop, and see what they say. I know in my area there is only 1 competent shop w/in 20mi. who is able to do these old cars.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You'd be amazed at how far inward the tops of those shock towers "roll" over the years.

I agree that the export brace will help. Adding a Monte Carlo bar will help even more, IMO.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd think (and how I did it) was to install the monte carlo bar first.

Then.. I came along about 6 months later and installed the export brace.

I think this order makes it easier than the reverse order. Cuz the monte carlo bar will be tough to get in, but once its in, it makes the export brace easier.

Search the site. I know I've posted hints about this at least twice.

Will it help? I think so. And I'd do both. Its a cheap upgrade. $30 for the bar, $45 for the export brace. That's one alignment job in my book. So doing anything to keep the alignment "in" was worth it to me.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Id really rather do the export brace first.....

I also posted about putting a brace in a somewhat sagging car.

And yes, the car will most likely need another alignment.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I only put in an export brace (after the relaxing bit described in the linked post) in my (former) 67 coupe. It really tightened up the front end, handling improved greatly, and was bolt on. Toe in and camber were still within spec, so I didn't need a re-alignment. I didn't want to drill new holes to install the Monte Carlo bar as the car was a driver, but for extra stiffness a Monte Carlo bar would really help, too. If you REALLY want to tighten up your car, welding in torque boxes (though a rust collector) and sub-frame connectors would be a good investment, too.
Daniel

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Yes, these classic unibodies will sag especially in the shock tower areas. Also check the towers for cracks (in the area adjacent to the
upper control arm mounts)

First items to get are one of the one piece export braces, adjustable and beefy monte carlo bar, and the vario centric lower control arm camber adjustment kits....(the old ones rely on an offset bushing that tends to rotate inside the cuffs over the years, thus compromising the camber alignment)

once on there, go and get the alignment checked....

subframe connectors are good to stiffen the chassis, but not necessary for alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts