Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building the 347 and was wondering if I was going to need a "performance" water pump, I will be buying a new one anyways, just wasn't sure what I needed. The cooling system will include a griffin but I am in AZ so I don't want cooling to be an issue. Will I need a fuel pump that flows more than a stock one? Lastly, will I need a different oil pan? I see a lot of 8 or 9(forget which) quart ones but would like to keep my stock one if I can. Let me know if you need specific info to accurately answer these questions.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
any quality brand name aftermarket waterpump will be cool enough. I'm not sure about a larger fuel pump. No you don't need a aftermarket oil pan but it's nice because it helps the temp. of the oil and most of them have baffles and even windage trays/crank scrapers for oil control. I would install an oil cooler to increase capicity and even cool the engine.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
How do you plan on driving the car?
This is key on what you're going to do with the car.
I'll give a few examples of what I've done to my 347...

Currently I have a hi-effeciency 3 core radiator which is doing a decent job (heck it just make a trip to S. CA this weekend). but a fan shroud is definitely needed for stop-and-go traffic.
A high performance water pump IMO isn't going to do much for you. In my experience its the radiator and fan that makes the biggest difference. The Griffin radiators look nice, but are too $$$ IMO. I'd rather run a 68 hi-effeciency 3 core radiator and keep a couple hundred bucks in my pocket for the same results.

You don't "need" an extra capacity oil pan but they are nice to have.
I have a 8 qt oil pan and the extra capacity does keep the oil cooler.
If you ever plan on any auto-x events like I do its nice to know there's always going to be enough oil in the pan when you power slide out of a corner ::

As for the fuel pump, that's really going to depend on how you drive the car as well.
I use an electric fuel pump on my setup, but a good aftermarket mechanical pump can also deliver excellent results. If you're pumping out 450+ HP I would hesitate to use a factory fuel pump!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car will be street driven, and possibly an occasional trip to the track just for fun. It will have the edelbrock performer rpm cam, intake, and heads(1.90" intake)and 10:1 compression. 600 cfm carb. I don't know how much HP I will be talking but is it possible to have a fuel pump that flows "too much?" Similar to having a carb that is too big.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Can you have a carb that's too big, yup!
I've been borrowing a friend's 850 DP and I can definitely tell you its too big.
Runs like like a champ, but its hard get a good idle with it and throttle response isn't as nice as my old 700 DP.

As for the fuel pump, its really hard to have problems with too large of a fuel pump.
For instance, with my electric fuel pump it comes with a fuel pressure regulator that limits how much fuel the pump can throw at the carb. I set the pressure at 6 lbs and I don't have to worry about too much fuel after that.

G

·
0 Posts
I also have a 347. I used a stock fan, water pump, and fuel pump. I have a high efficiency 3 row mustang style radiator with shroud. No overheating problems either when using the Vintage Air A/C.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I opted for a performance aluminum water pump, performance mechanical fuel pump, and 8qt aftermarket oil pan for the 342 stroker in the Fastback. These parts came from Summit. The water pump is a 1970-type so a crossflow radiator could be used. I believe they also have water pumps with the earlier-type, passenger's side inlet.
1. Edelbrock water pump # EDL-8843 $149
2. Holley fuel pump # HLY-12-289-11 $65 (no regulator required)
3. Milodon oil pan # MIL-30925 $160
4. Milodon pan pickup # MIL-18375 $35

1 - 8 of 8 Posts