Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has pretty much been 2 + years of bodywork and sanding.

I talked to the paint shop where they hope to have the car painted (jambed and engine compartment) tomorrow afternoon and hopefully ready to be towed back this Monday.

I have not really thought about anything except for bodywork day in and day out for the past two years.

I hardly know where to start?
Wiring? Brake lines? Fuel Lines? Glass?
Then will I remember where it all goes?
Sheesh ;)

I kind of pushed the body shop telling him I had the fenders and fascia ready to bring in, and if I should bring them in right now, or wait until the other parts were all done. (I knew they're extremely busy)

Oh well I have the weekend to think about it...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
hopefully you have a friend with a car that is put together that you can look at....

or you have good manuals....

well - at least you have VMF :p

good luck - i know how you feel

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
With only one or two rare exceptions, parts can only go on the car one way. Nevertheless, I had no pictures of my car prior to disassembly, so I relied upon the Osborne Assembly Manuals, the Exploded Illustrated Manuals, and the Shop Manual. Assembly went forward easily and without too many issues.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Another problem to consider, my resto is in it's 4th year. Body panels and rust repair are still underway.

My concern is can I find all the parts? Yes they're all in the basement, but there's a lot of little pieces you know...

If Ford can do it, I can too.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Most of the parts only go on one way, a very frustrating part are the bolts and nuts, if they are not labeled.
A trick I learned if many of the nuts and bolts are mixed is to lay them out on a bench and organize them by size and shape. Then find the item that you are going to install and count the holes for the fasteners then look at your arranged bolts and find the bolts that the quantity corresponds to.
ie. door hinges have 11 holes per door, look for 11 identical bolts,,,etc....
Good luck with your assembly

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
I hope you bagged/tagged your parts. If not, you're gonna have a very hard time identifying some parts, and almost all of the fasteners!

At your stage of disassembly, I inventoried all of my parts, recording their location in a notebook. That really helped cutting down the time finding parts!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did label the parts and took pics, the previous owner took most of the parts off, and labeled some of the parts.

I have the Osborne manuals and a couple shop manuals Haynes and Ford.

I called the paint shop this afternoon. Thunder was in the booth being sprayed. He said the blue that I picked looked great.

I haven't seen it yet, but will likely get the car towed back home Monday afternoon

I will need to get a few key fasteners, but hope to have that organized this weekend. Among them the idler to frame and steering box to frame. Strut rod to lower a arm bolts, and a few misc brackets, windshield clip pin screws clips and missing trim.

I'll have a hard time trying to remember exactly what parts I ordered and what I didn't

·
Registered
781 Posts
As long as you took photos, labeled, and have manuals you shouldn't have any problems, at least nothing major. I have found that photos, labels and Ford manuals and memory make it pretty easy to get it back together.

·
Registered
395 Posts
67 Shelby tail lights are alot of fun. If you make it past them then the rest will be a piece of cake! If you have replaced the fenders or the front fascia, you will need to have these fitted before painting them. The only thing worse than 67 Shelby fiberglass is repop 67 Shelby fiberglass!

Good luck

Larry

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jsgarron said:
As long as you took photos, labeled, and have manuals you shouldn't have any problems, at least nothing major. I have found that photos, labels and Ford manuals and memory make it pretty easy to get it back together.
That's what I am hoping. It has to be easier than sanding ;)

67 Shelby tail lights are alot of fun. If you make it past them then the rest will be a piece of cake! If you have replaced the fenders or the front fascia, you will need to have these fitted before painting them. The only thing worse than 67 Shelby fiberglass is repop 67 Shelby fiberglass!

Good luck

Larry
Yes exactly, that's why we are jambing the car then putting it together. I spent 2 years on bodywork and metal, nearly half of that time fitting & blocking the fiberglass. I hope that it has paid off :p

More cleaning of the garage today. I have not told SWMBO that the Mustang is coming to our home garage (instead of grandmas garage - no dust from bodywork)

If I suddenly disappear Monday night, you'll know what happened :bitch:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
On the restoration of my former 67, I had bagged and labeled all the bolts and nuts and hardware for safe keeping. Then I got the car back from the painter... The fresh paint and detailed engine really made the old hardware stand out negatively. So, I chemically treated some with phosphate, sprayed some with Eastwood's cadmium spray paint group and ordered replacements from AMK for the ones that didn't turn out. I still used the bagged ones for reference and did a lot of running out to the local Mustang salvage yard to figure out what went where. AMK does label them, but sometimes I needed more help. :eek:
Daniel

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes important point,
cleaning up the old hardware so it looks pretty. I do have and AMK body kit but it does not have everything.

There is a local stainless fastener supplier, so I may get a few chassis bolts and nuts from them.

One thing I found on retoring the interior fasteners was to use a brass wire brush. It seemed to be a little less agressive and the fasteners looked pretty good when completed.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Call AMK and order every fastener kit for the car you are building. Cost me about $800 for my 68 vert. Will save you dozens if not hundreds of hours cleaning old fasteners and trying to put the right finish on the. Plus everything is clearly labelled.

Might seem like a lot of money at first but IMO it is money well spent.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm nearing the end of my reassembly after being apart for 25 years. After that much time it's amazing that I could remember where anything went!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'm still in the mindset that I will fork over the money for the AMK kits as mentioned above, but once it comes time to place that order, we'll see how deep the pockets go.

Should you decide to keep what you have, at least get a copy of the AMK catalog. They have a lot of fasteners in there listed with application and life size photo's. You can at least match up bolts you are unsure of with the part in the catalog to see where it goes. Between that and the Osborne manual and shop manual as mentioned you should be able to positively id all of the bolts you have that are not already labeled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts