Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed my waterpump today, but I had a slight snag in the works. Again, the car's a '66 w/ a 289.

One of my bolts wouldn't "grab" and just spun w/ no resistance after threading all the way in. The bolt is on the lower part of the waterpump, in the middle. I believe if I were to use a longer bolt, it would interfere w/ the fuel pump cam (is that right?).

Anyway, I went to the local machine shop and asked them what to do, and the guy dug out a 302 aluminum timing chain cover w/ a C9xx marking. He showed me where the 302 no longer had two of the lower bolts - the pump is secured fine w/out them. He instructed me to use a very fine film of gasket maker on the entire gasket, torque the rest of the bolts to spec., and let the gasket do its job.

Well, I did. And guess what . . . NO LEAKS . . . yet. I've worked on this car so much just to keep it on the road it's hard to ever be optimistic. So, what do you think? Should it hold long-term? Could the coolant system build up pressure and blow out the gasket at that point? Should I start saving for a new timing chain cover?!

I'm praying to the GOD of gaskets and silicone that it holds!

Doug

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ PS, PB, AC, white interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids, and a tissue dispenser (good for an extra 15 HP!)

·
Registered
35,341 Posts
You never really know until the green stuff starts puking out on the ground. IMHO the best thing would be to heli-coil the bad hole and insert the correct bolt. However, you could also tap out the hole in the water pump to a NPT thread and insert a pipe plug as a security measure if you don't fix the front cover.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did you check to make sure the bolt hole doesn't go all the way through the cover? If it does you'll most likely develop an oil leak if you don't plug the hole somehow. I'm pretty sure it's a blind hole, but I'd check it anyway.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/030/44/30304480.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts