Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed the 6-8 swap in my 66' mustang. 300hp+ engine, stock 6cyl. 3spd., v-8 suspension, and 9" rearend. The car drives great and is fast!

I want to know if it is worth it to get a 4spd. or 5spd. in it with some gears and a posi? What kind of a difference will there be performance wise? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm no mechanic but if you're using 300+hp on the stock 3spd tranny (for a 6'er)...I'd get a broom and dustpan to sweep up the parts. I would imagine even the 3spd tranny for the 289 would have a hard time with that.

Further, the gear ratio for the 3spd is a little wide for "performance." If you are going to do a tranny swap, skip the 4 spd and go direct into the AOD/5spd tranny. Should be a little less "bog" getting her going too.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
gears make a large difference in the speed for the first 60 feet. If you want to be able to jump fast off a light you need a posi unit and some gears. Without overdrive you wouldn't want to go over 3.5:1 with overdrive you can do all the way to 4.11:1's but you will need some wide tires.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David,

What all did you do to get that kind of power out of the car and how drivable is it?

Slade

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the suspension converted over to the v-8 setup. I put in a ford 9 inch rearend in the proccess of swapping the suspension. The engine I had built for me, it has all the goodies on it. The transmission was left on touched. Brakes, steering, and etc. have all been untouched as well. The car drives very good, I have no problems with it at all. I could use it as a daily driver if I wanted to.

-David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts