Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Coupe with tach dash and engine bay harnesses.

I am getting close to actually firing the car up after 4+ plus years since I started the project.

Will the car run without an instrument cluster? I ask this because I have heard that, if you have a tach harness, the car will not run without a tach hooked up and I want to verify this.

If the car will not run without a tach is there a way to bypass it for now?

Thanks
Don

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The coil is connected in series with the factory tach. When you remove the cluster the tach has 2 wires that plug into 2 harness wires. Connecting the two will complete the circuit to the coil.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
IIRC I the two tach wire connectors are 1. Male, 1. Female they can just be connected to complete the circuit. If my memory is bad hopefully someone will jump on me!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these two wires on the cluster harness or dash harness? Any description of the wires (color, location)?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
There are two wires coming from the underdash harness that have bullet connectors, one male and one female that plug into matching wires in the dash cluster. Just plug the two from the underdash harness together. I don't recall the colors.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone with a 67 tach car look underneath and tell me the colors of the two wires on the dash harness that connect to the tach?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts