Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 6cyl car I'm going to convert to v8, question is are the v8 and I6 spindles the same?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told a 67 V8 or I6 car has the same spindels? Was told this is the only year it was like that? Did I get some bad info?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Yeah, the 67-up had the same spindles whether it was 6 or 8. Just get the 67 factory disc brake setup, and you'll be all set, it'll bolt right onto the spindles you have.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I was told a 67 V8 or I6 car has the same spindels? Was told this is the only year it was like that? Did I get some bad info?
67-69 uses the same spindles for 6cyl drum and v8 drum. your ps linkage is the same on 67 6cyl and v8. you can either add 67 discs or you can by any of the stainless steel disc brake conversions and they will bolt directly to your spindles.

the other poster has a 65 and he is correct for 65 and 66 cars pretty much all 6cyl and v8 parts are non compatible. ford decided to economize starting in 67 and make one drum brake spindle instead of two. in 67 this drum spindle is the same as the disc spindle different mounting brackets are bolted on to make the switch.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Looks like I did! Ha!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If your Mustang, Fairlane, Falcon, Comet has 5 Bolt Factory Drum Brakes, You already have Excellent DISC BRAKE Spindles on your Classic.

The 5 bolt 65-67 Mustang Fairlane, Spindle, is the SAME EXACT Spindle Ford used to install the Disc Brake setup on the Assembly line, as well as Drum Brake----Only one Spindle for both application.

The 68 69 Drum Spindle is the same C6OA Spindle as used on the 67 Mustangs, So Yes, the 4 piston K/H Style Disc Brakes will bolt on the 68 69 Without changing spindles as well. You won't even have to change your Alignment settings!!!

So in other words, you can use your present 5 bolt spindle, install the "Bigger-Stock-, Factory 11 19/64" rotors, 4 Piston Caliper Disc brake setup without changing spindles.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Whenever you have a question like this I always look in a vendor parts catalog to see how parts are listed. In this case 6 cyl wheel bearings are listed diff than 8 cyl bearings. That right there will tell you diff size spindle being used. V8 drum and disk spindles are the same.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Not necessarily. If the ID's of the bearings are the same then the spindle can be the same. I would suspect the OD's are what are different as the 4 lug hub is smaller than the 5 lug hub.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
In this case 6 cyl wheel bearings are listed diff than 8 cyl bearings.
No, he has a 67, and they are not different.

G03234 641⁄2-66 6cyl inner front wheel Bearing
G03237 641⁄2-66 6cyl outer front wheel Bearing
G03235 641⁄2-66 8cyl; 67-69 All inner front wheel Bearing
G03238 641⁄2-66 8cyl, 67-69 All outer front wheel Bearing
G03421 69 BOSS/Shelby outer front Wheel Bearing
G03240 70-73 front outer wheel Bearing
G03241 70-73 front inner wheel Bearing

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Whenever you have a question like this I always look in a vendor parts catalog to see how parts are listed. In this case 6 cyl wheel bearings are listed diff than 8 cyl bearings. That right there will tell you diff size spindle being used. V8 drum and disk spindles are the same.
All 67 Mustang/Fairlane/Comet/Cougar/Falcon are C6OA Spindles. Same for all cars..

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 12 of 12 Posts