Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the clutch in my 65, it has stock bell housing and clutch linkage with a T5 conversion. I have a stock flywheel as far as I know, on a 68 model 289 engine, so it is the 28oz. I have had a centerforce in it for over a dozen years, and it has finally given up. I went to just go back with it, but they apparently don't make it anymore. It was a standard organic 10 inch centerforce with the ring of weights on the diaphragm. So I found the following RAM clutch with great reviews on multiple sights, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ram-88794hd and was thinking about it. It however is a 10.5 inch disc.

Question is, will the 10.5 inch fit that flywheel and bellhousing? I'm sure the bell housing isn't really an issue, but not sure about the flywheel.

If it won't fit, is there a 10 inch clutch that you would recommend? Wanting to use a diaphragm clutch and need one that will handle around 400 HP with some agressive driving. It won't be drag raced, but burnouts are required every now and then...

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Actually, I have one in my May built '65 CVT with a T5z. It's a Kevlar organic unit. Pretty great! That is, if you have all of the correct supporting hardware.

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
The "stock" C7ZZ 289HP/BOSS 302 clutch (or anything similar) will bolt right onto your flywheel.

This would do:

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
If it's a 157th flywheel, then it takes a 10" clutch or the HiPo 289 or B302 10.5" clutch. 164th can take 10.5 or 11".

·
Registered
35,979 Posts
I'm replacing the clutch in my 65, it has stock bell housing and clutch linkage with a T5 conversion. I have a stock flywheel as far as I know, on a 68 model 289 engine, so it is the 28oz. I have had a centerforce in it for over a dozen years, and it has finally given up. I went to just go back with it, but they apparently don't make it anymore. It was a standard organic 10 inch centerforce with the ring of weights on the diaphragm. So I found the following RAM clutch with great reviews on multiple sights, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ram-88794hd and was thinking about it. It however is a 10.5 inch disc.

Question is, will the 10.5 inch fit that flywheel and bellhousing? I'm sure the bell housing isn't really an issue, but not sure about the flywheel.

If it won't fit, is there a 10 inch clutch that you would recommend? Wanting to use a diaphragm clutch and need one that will handle around 400 HP with some agressive driving. It won't be drag raced, but burnouts are required every now and then...
Yes, as stated above. As far as your Summit Racing link, I think that clutch cover assembly has the "metric" bolt pattern.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,791 Posts
I run the 88502 clutch that 22GT posted in my ‘66GT behind a 350HP/345TQ 289 on the track. The engine is overpowering it out of most turns. I used the same clutch behind a previous 289HP spec engine on the street with no issues at all. So just be aware with whatever your intended use.

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Rebuilding depends on the condition of the steel parts. The OEM style clutch, with three fingers in the center, is semi-centrifugal, that is, the fingers themselves are weighted, and the faster the clutch spins, the tighter it grips. I suspect the small weights on the Centerforce had a similar function.

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Rebuilding depends on the condition of the steel parts. The OEM style clutch, with three fingers in the center, is semi-centrifugal, that is, the fingers themselves are weighted, and the faster the clutch spins, the tighter it grips. I suspect the small weights on the Centerforce had a similar function.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Many clutch pressure plates
clutch bolt pattern.jpg come with multiple bolt patterns. Some come with only one. Just be sure that the pressure plate and flywheel will match. I say this only because I had issue with mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts