Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a one piece oil pan gasket. I can only find them for 79-and-up, 302 Fords. Will it fit on a vintage 289? (Not much difference?!) If not anyone have a source for one that will fit a 65 289?

As always thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
They will fit (I am using one) but you need to know that they are made to work with a flat pan rail. They are made to work with aluminum oil pans (like a COBRA T pan) that have a machined flat surface for the gasket. They are not desigend to work with a stamped steel pan.

They seal great!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The one piece gasket is designed for the steel pans. Thats what the motors come with, a steel pan. The one piece gasket is used on the 300 6cyl. motors as well. I have change many! Again a steel pan.

I have the one piece gasket on my cobra oil pan and it works well. On a side note the steel pans have extra rails that bolt to the oil pan flange. You do not need these with the cobra pan.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Did I miss something? Are we talking about the ford blue one piece gasket? If so those are used on the ford motors with steel pans.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know! I have a cobra aluminum T-pan I plan on using! So I'll give it a try and see how it works!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
My '91 Lincoln 5.0L HO engine came with a one piece OP gasket and I bought a Felpro replacement one piece unit. OP is steel with the external rails and I noticed the HO OP pan edges are thicker than the flimsy sheet metal OP on a '65 289.

I think it will work if the oil pan gasket surface is flat and if the external reiforcement rails are used. I also noticed the one piece gaskets have a notch in them where the oil dip stick tube goes near the pan (because the Fox cars had the oil dip stick mounted into the driver side of the engine block).

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts