Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Summit Racing Catalog and they have a dual exhaust system for '67+ Mustangs that includes headers and side-exiting exhaust for $219.

My question is: Has anybody put this '67 exhaust system on their '66, and why would this kit not work for a '66? since it is side-exit? The Dynomax Blackjack headers that come with the kit say they fit 67+ Mustangs with 289/302s. Why would there be a difference in headers for '66 and '67?

Here is the link for the kit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2DCBJJ115A

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It will probably work, but don't plan on getting it to fit yourself. It will probably need some minor tweaking at a good muffler shop. Summit headers are tough to install and some bolt holes may be inaccessible... Unless they've imporoved in the past 5 years. Ask me how I know... ;)

Dan

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
First off that kit comes with $15 mufflers, also the headers are painted which means they are rusted in 6 months. The universal aspect of the kit tells me it will likely not fit all too well.

Flowmaster makes a nice kit for 65/66 that does not include headers but it does include nice mandrel bent 2.5" pipe.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
you get what you pay for with those systems, they dont last long, and they dont usually seem to fit very well.. i think your better off taking it to a shop and having them fab something for you, or purchasing one of the flowmaster systems which DO fit pretty well from what ppl say .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts