Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these standard round mirrors now on my 65 FB in the stock location on both sides. They are too small and i've put up with these long enough. (n)

65 Round Mirrors

I see that 67s had a rectangular mirror as shown in the following link. They are 5.5 x 3 inches. Without being home at the moment, I don't know if they will fit without interfering with the vent window or something. Has anyone put these on a 65/66 or did you put a different mirror on?

67 Rectangular Mirrors

·
Registered
860 Posts
I see that you linked the convex mirrors. I have the Scott Drake convex mirrors on my '68. It is amazing what a good view the convex mirrors give. The flat glass mirrors I replaced were the same physical size but the view they gave was tiny. The convex mirrors are great.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Way back in the day, I bought my 66 coupe from the original owner. It had been repainted once in the 11 years since it left detroit. It had a rectangular side mirror with ford part numbers on it. When I did a "restoration" I replaced the mirror because the chrome was pitted. I wanted another rectangular mirror, everyone said that 66's never came with a rectangular mirror and round was correct. It has had a round mirror ever since 1983. When the square mirror was on the car there were no interference issues, I was very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You might need to look at the screw hole spacing. I'm not sure if they use the same mounting holes for both years.

+1 on the convex mirror. I just wish they had left off the silly "object in the mirror...." print on it, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I always did think the rectangular mirrors fit the lines of the car better anyway, but I am not sure I have ever seen them on a '66(my opinion was based off of how they looked on my old '67)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that you linked the convex mirrors. I have the Scott Drake convex mirrors on my '68. It is amazing what a good view the convex mirrors give. The flat glass mirrors I replaced were the same physical size but the view they gave was tiny. The convex mirrors are great.
That's a good point. Maybe I could get new round convex mirrors and be done with it.

I found these, but it doesn't say if they are right or left. Do they fit on either side?

Convex round mirrors

·
Registered
35,443 Posts
Either side. Careful, though, it may be unlawful to have a convex mirror on the left side. Of course, only a vehicle inspector would notice, and if you are not subject to inspection, no worries.

·
Registered
35,443 Posts

The site above doesn't mention anything about a mirror being convex. I don't think this is specified in a law.
To the contrary-

·
Registered
860 Posts
That appears just to be an article written by someone at the University of Michigan. I do not see it referenced in a state's law.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts