Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I found a good deal (i think) for a set of vintage style wheels from a 2001-2004 Mustang GT. Size is 17x8, but the backspacing is apparently around 5.72” according to the seller. I assume I will need a spacer in the front to clear the upper ball joint and possibly the steering arm, so here are my questions:
(I have an unmodified 66 Coupe)

1. What size spacer in the front
2. What size tire can I put on the front once spacer is in place
3. Will i needs spacer in the rear?
4. I assume I can fit a 245 in the rear?
5. Anything else I am missing?

Thanks!

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more question I forgot: any recommendations for quality spacers? The internet is filled with spacers from $25-$350... I don’t think this is a part I want failing, but also don’t want to spend more than I need to...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Here is a chart that has been posted numerous times here. I would perform some searches on this forum to see what others have done and you may get lucky and find the info you are looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, this chart is 67-70 and I have a 66. I have done some searching on the forum, which is what makes me realize I will need the front spacer. But I haven’t been able to find anything regarding these specific wheels or this specific backspacing, but I know there are some incredibly knowledgeable people on this forum, so that is why I posted. Hoping someone with tons of knowledge about 65/66 cars and wheel backspacing can help me out.

Thanks!

Ian

·
Registered
549 Posts
You'll want to get as close to 4.75" backspacing as you can to get those on the front. That puts you with a 1" spacer. You might be able to get away with less but 4.75" is what most folks are running with great results (me included).

Rear, you can probably get away with less. I've clearanced the snot out of the front of my wheel house, dont have leafs anymore, and have 6" backspacing. You might want to bump them out for looks though.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I'm running those wheels on a 70. Front 1" hubcentric spacer/rear 7/16" spacer. These are hubcentric spacers that came with the Vintage Venom disc brake set up I'm using. They go behind the hat of the rotor.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, this chart is 67-70 and I have a 66.
I updated my post to include the 65/66 chart as well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You also shouldn't have an upper ball joint interference problem, a 17" wheel slides right over the joint with clearance, actually fits better than a 16" wheel

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
If you're going over a certain width, you want an adapter, not a spacer. Spacers and adapters are safe (don't let anyone tell you otherwise) but over a certain width, the spacer becomes unsafe. An adapter is almost always safe.

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
They look like pre 2005 .those will work well with a 1" wheel adapter

that will put you very close to the desired 4.75 backspacing for a 17x8 wheel
I've used these https://www.ebay.com/itm/201346458052?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648 ,but are out of stock closet I could find is these https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MADE-IN-USA-5-Lug-4-5-To-5-x-4-5-Wheel-Adapters-Spacers-1-W-STUDS-LUGNUTS/251290014839?hash=item3a820d5477:g:KosAAOSwuOxZwB6Y

Make sure whatever you get is 6061 T-6 billet
and yes you will want 4 adapters
I have a set of the 2005+ Bullitts similar idea but different backspace issue I need 1.5" adapters

I used 225/45/17 because I got them for free a 235/45/17 would work and at least on the rear I think a 255/40/17 will work

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
as much as it pains me (lol) I also just picked up a set of 01-04 bullitts for my car. I eventually want to run bigger brakes and the 14's ain't going to cut it. i'll eventually get a different set of wheels, but this was at least a cheap way to see if i'll like them or not.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
17's on a 65/66 is a science. I have 17x8 rear and 17x7 front. Front and rear fenders are rolled. 235/45 rear and 205/50 front (you'll probably run the same size all the way around.)

I had 245/45 rears with 215/50 fronts and they juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust barely scrubbed with the fenders rolled. I drive the piss out of my car and wanted zero rubbing EVER. When I went to the smaller size tire that was the final push over the edge to get no scrubbing. I've even autocrossed it.

Of course back spacing, spring rates, and ride height will also all affect if your car will rub or not.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
17's on a 65/66 is a science. I have 17x8 rear and 17x7 front. Front and rear fenders are rolled. 235/45 rear and 205/50 front (you'll probably run the same size all the way around.)

I had 245/45 rears with 215/50 fronts and they juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust barely scrubbed with the fenders rolled. I drive the piss out of my car and wanted zero rubbing EVER. When I went to the smaller size tire that was the final push over the edge to get no scrubbing. I've even autocrossed it.

Of course back spacing, spring rates, and ride height will also all affect if your car will rub or not.
What's the backspacing on your wheels? 205 sounds pretty narrow, especially with rolled fenders. From everything I have heard 225 should fit even without rolling...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I put the rear on to see how it looks. not bad, but going to take a lot of getting used to. to the op, the tires are 245-45-17 sumitomo's . my car has 1" drop springs front and rear. the tires fit fine, no rubbing , and my 1/4's aren't rolled. used a 1" ADAPTER :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excellent, thanks @fordguy! This is very helpful. Would love to see an update when you put on the front. What size are you planning to try?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
What's the backspacing on your wheels? 205 sounds pretty narrow, especially with rolled fenders. From everything I have heard 225 should fit even without rolling...
I really don't remember. I think fronts were 4.25 and rear were 4.75. Front wheels are 17x7 so the 205 fits like a glove. Rear are 17x8.

I don't know why I had to roll my fenders, everyone I talked said "oh yeah, those should fit perfect with X tire and XX backspacing"... but nope.

You have the opportunity to dial yours in with spacers, I did not.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts