Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've got a line on a 9" rear end in a Pinto drag car. The rear end was shortend to look like a '60 Ford wagon, which apparently bolts into the Pinto. The guy is running 28 spline, 4 lug axles that he thinks fits 8" rears. Did a lot of searching but can't seem to find the Pinto's dimensions. The seller is a Mopar guy and doesn't know the Ford dimensions too well. Do you think this rear will bolt into my '66?

I'd have to swap out the axles, since I have five lugs and his pig is worthless to me, too, as its a 5.45 ratio. Other than that......anything else?
Thanks all,

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
wow, you're taking a big chance ona "hybrid" (ie, one of kind made for a drag car) type piece. The 28 spline 4 lug axles are 6 cylinder pieces, definitely not something for your hipo Mustang let alone a "drag car" as this guy represents it to be. I would FIRST make sure that it is a 9 inch rear end - there are plenty of sites on the net that show you difference, both by pictures and measured dimensions....

The only REAL to make sure this rear would fit is to break out the measuring tape and measure perch to perch (where it mounts to the leaf springs) and drum to drum to give you an actual workable width....

randy

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If the 9 incher was modified to oem Pinto specs, yes it will fit. Pinto's and M2's have the same housing and spring width as the '65-'66 stangs (52" housing, 43" perch center to center). In order to use 8" axles, the housing must have the small bearing housing ends and a 28 spline differential. 9" rears usually have bigger tubes than the '65 8" rears, so you may need wider u-bolts and different shock plates, but since this is a custom built rear the only way to know for sure is to stick it in there. Since you'll be buying different axles and center, are you getting this rear for next to nothing? Because next to nothing is what you'll be using from this rear, and 9" housings aren't too hard to find as long as you're not looking for a correct appearing '65-'66 housing (I got mine for $50 + shipping). Just measure it accurately and don't pay more than what the housing alone is worth to you since that's all you're really buying in this case.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks guys. Although it sounds as if it will fit, you're right Rickmann, I'm really only buying the housing and he's asking $400. I think I'll pass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts