Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed my front disc upgrade and was ready to finally get the car down off the stands and nearly under its own power soon.

I went to place my original steel 14" 5-lug wheels on the car since these will be my "paint wheels/tires" and interim rolling shoes while the project progresses.

However, the "snout" on the new rotors is too large and the inner hole diameter on the wheels will not allow me to put them on. I can do one of two things: 1) Go to the junk yard and find 4 tire/wheels which are 15" in order to move the car around or, 2) Get my grinder and hog out the center section of the present steel wheels and use them. I am thinking as long as the 5 lugs are tightened down this should suffice for limited mobility.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
If I'm correct, even if you hog out the center of the wheels, once you tighten the nuts down, it still wont turn as the inner wheel well rub against the caliper. I had tried this with a wheel from another drum brake ford that had a larger center hole already. Still had the inner problems once tightened down. I would say best bet would be to buy some disk brake wheels at the junk yard.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Did you do the granada disc upgrade? I have heard there are fitment problems with the original steel wheels. You need to go to a junkyard and get some different steel wheels off a disc brake granada if this is the case.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
yah i think the granada wheels will fit, and you can probably get away with just 2 of them (i dunno, possibly 14 inches with a different center section?) ask around about that

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Go get two junkyard Granada wheels and keep your stockers. The price will probably be so cheap it's not even worth the effort of damaging your stockers.

The Granada wheels (and probably any post '70 five lug Ford wheel with the larger A12-A13 bearing combo) will work. Someone probably has a rusty old set hanging around that you could borrow for free while you're painting. You only need the front two.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts