Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. recently i striped a wrecked 1973 cougar and i kept the complete disc brake set ups. the cougar was a 351 car. they are a complete spindle assembly. my question is will these spindles and disc brakes work on my 69 sportsroof with a 302? will there be any major modification to make them work? will i need to use the drivers side outer tie rod from the cougar? basically, i'm just looking to use the disc brakes as manual disc brakes....i have no intention of changing the master and adding a booster. thanks in advance. Justin

·
Registered
680 Posts
yes, the disc brake setup will work on your '69.
I used a '72 setup on my '70 with no problem. The tie rod ends were the same on my car. I did have trouble with the rubber lines, though. You might need to find some fittings to adapt them to your car. Be sure you get the prop. valve from the Cougar. You must use the disc and drum prop. valve with this setup.....I am running the disc brakes with the manual drum master cylinder that was in my car. I like the feel of manual disc brakes....
Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Yes, the spindle assembly will bolt in....
It would be better to use a different master cylinder. Elsewhere on this forum it is mentioned that a Maverick disc master cylinder is a good one to use...
As above, you will need a proportioning valve for the rear, the rear brakes will lock prematurely in a panic situation unless a proportioning valve is installed.
You will need the larger tie rod ends for both sides.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You cannot use a drum brake master w/dics brakes. Drum masters have residual pressure valves in the outlet ports,if you do not remove them your dics will never release properly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts