Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 8.8" rear end with disc brakes from a mustang but he doesn't know what year or anything else about it. What years did ford put the 8.8 in their mustangs? Will this fit in my 65? I hope it will because I would love to have 4 wheel disc, not to mention he only wants $50 for it. What should I look for as far as telling the condition of the rear end? I know I can pull info off the tag etc., but I wanted to see if it would fit before I did any of that. Any other info or tips appreciated.

TIA
Brian & Dad
65 coupe
69 coupe

G

·
0 Posts
Better check it for $50. Probably a 7.5 from an SVO. 8.8's were Cobra rears & pricy. To get it to fit you'll have to remove all the mounts with a torch & weld on leaf spring perches.

·
Registered
680 Posts
5.0 Mustangs had the 8.8 rears. If I remember correctly, they went to rear disc in 1997, or something like that. You might go to a new Mustang site, like stangnet.com, and ask about the rear end. But, I wouldn't tell anyone where it is, because $50.00 is a great deal, as long as it is the 8.8....

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
The older GT Mustangs had disk too but they were 4 luggers not 5. I think 94 on up are the 5 luggers. Most GT rears are posi's if not all. They varied in gear ratios. Stay away from rears from wrecked cars. I bought one that the axle and housing were bent back 3/8" from a previous crash. Too small to see but when it went into a narrowing jig, then it was very evident. I was lucky to get my money back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts