Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have VERY little space in my garage http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gturner51/cramped_garage_sm.jpg. I'd like to weld 4 small caster platforms to enable me to 'slide' the car side to side when I need more space. I figure I would take 1/8 angle, welded in a box shape with 1/8 sheet metal as a base. I would then bolt 4 casters to each platform and put the jackstands on these platforms. Of course each platform would be sized to the jackstand used on it ( I have 2 different sets).

Has anyone done this? Are there safety issues with this? Currently the only thing on the car is the front and rear suspension (which needs to come off any way), the hood, doors,and windshield.

Thanks,
Gregg

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I bought car dollies at Harbor Freight for $20 each about 2 months ago. They work great. The wheels sit in them which may not work for you based on your description. I don't know how safe jack stands on casters would be. Here is a link to what I have.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I would build your own jack stand on the moving casters, and/or weld one to it. Even then it might be kinda unsafe while in the movement stage. Ever have a caster catch on a little rock and tip what ever you were pushing around. Yeah, might not be a good idea to have your car be what falls and topples over onto the floor.

G

·
0 Posts
I think they would tip over even if you weld them to the plates. Catch some dirt on the floor and your picking the car up and fixing damage. For not much more money, you can weld up a frame to put under the car or find a way to bolt something to the bottom of the car.

Lets see. For the rear, how about some vertical angle iron that attaches to the front spring bolts with a small plate and caster. A sideways brace between the two sides and diagonal on each side up to the inboard front seat belt hole.

For the front, a similar arrangment from the sway bar bolt holes with diagonals over to the strut rod bolts.

You would need castors rated at about 2000 lbs each. I like rubber coated ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts