Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to use the Stator terminal of my alternator to trip a relay to provide current for my electric choke. I purchased a four terminal relay and will hide it under the edge of the battery tray.

The question is, the stator terminal will be grounded when the relay is closed, will this cause problems?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,669 Posts
To your actual question I have to say I don't know. Just curious what the relay is for. Ford connected the choke power wire directly to the stator post. Though many folks claim it won't work for some reason, I've hooked both a Holley electric choke and an Edelbrock choke the same way and they've worked just fine. We've been operating SWMBO's 302 and Edelbrock choke this way for about 6 months now and have failed to notice any problems. Not that a relay is a bad idea, just seems unnecessary to me.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally considered doing the same thing, that is until I read here that the stator terminal does not provide a full 12 volts. Lower voltage, slower choke operation, hence my choice to use a relay.

So, you could answer this question once and for all, measure the voltage at the terminal and let us know.

·
Just some guy
20,669 Posts
Reputedly the voltage is 5-7 volts. My point is that I have found that the voltage has no discernable effect on the choke's operation. The two aftermarket carbs I've hooked up this way work as well as any other electric choke I've used over the last 25 years. I'll leave it to more electrically knowledgeable folks to explain why this might be.
Try it yourself and see what results you get. It's only one wire. My Holley worked great. The Edelbrock required adjusting over a few days to get the "dead cold, first thing in the morning" choke action just to my liking.
Bedtime for me, but I can stick a digital multimeter on SWMBO's car tomorrow afternoon if you like. Assuming she won't be at WalMart with it. ::

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The relay will require a full 12 volts, and probably won't work. At the very least, the relay won't last very long with low voltage.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please check the voltage for me, not in a huge hurry for this data either. I won't be in a position to do this work until after the weekend. I am still connect and installing some of the front suspension, and will install the brakes this weekend. Take your time......TIA Jeff

·
Just some guy
20,669 Posts
As other folks said it was, I measured 7 volts.
I thought of a more to the point test. SWMBO didn't drive the car today so it was dead cold when I got to it. I gave the accelerator one pump as usual to set the choke, and fired it up. Goosing the the throttle here and there to let it off fast idle, I timed the choke from fully closed to fully open. 95 seconds. Seems good to me, though I currently have no other similar vehicles to compare with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts