Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would do a quick write up for anyone considering this brake kit :)

My previous brake setup consisted of Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 11" diameter and .810" thick solid faced rotors. I was also using EBC Yellow Stuff pads (GREAT pads but man they created a lot of dust)

This new Wilwood kit consists of 6 piston calipers with a 12.88" and 1.10" thick slotted rotors. Wilwood recommends at least a 17" sized wheel for these brakes

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-12637-r/overview/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang

The rear brake kit remained the same, an SSBC single piston disc kit. The master cylinder also remained the same, a '74 maverick 15/16th bore.

After unboxing, one thing immediately stuck out: everything on this kit is MASSIVE. With that being said, they are also considerably heavier than the kit that came off. I wish I had weighed the previous kit to see how much more the new kit weighs; even a few pounds of rotational mass makes a big difference.

Assembly was fairly straight forward, however the instructions tell you to install the rotor hub before putting on all the caliper mounting brackets. The caliper bracket consists of three pieces, a plate that bolts to the spindle, a spacer, and the caliper bracket itself.

There is no way of installing the bolts for the rest of the caliper bracket components once the hub is installed, so you need to get all of that bolted up BEFORE the rotor hub goes on.

The instructions say to use red Loctite on the rotor hat bolts with an option to add safety wire as well. I chose to just use the Loctite as I never had any problems with these bolts coming loose with any of the other Wilwood kits I've assembled.

**edit: none of the other Wilwood kits I've installed had bolts with provisions for safety wire either (Thought I should mention this)

You'll notice bright paint dabs on every bolt, this is so I can visually see if any bolt has budged :)

The other side went much smoother as I already knew how many shims to use (or not use in my case) along with how the kit went together.

Pardon the mess ;)

I also ended up swapping the front brake hoses to Wilwood's braided stainless kit.

First impressions after driving? Kinda hard to remember, my head flew into the windshield :pirate:

The bite on this new brake kit is absolutely mental, hands down the best stopping car I've driven now. Other occupants in the car were upset they did not have anything to hold onto during braking ;) (They were not given a warning either)

So, to answer the age old question, YES: bigger IS better with brakes.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would definitely safety wire them. I've read of quite a few coming undone, even in just normal driving. Not worth the risk. Also, I don't remember the instructions saying it was an option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely safety wire them. I've read of quite a few coming undone, even in just normal driving. Not worth the risk. Also, I don't remember the instructions saying it was an option.

Just looked back at the instructions, "...for an added measure of security, the bolts may be safety wired using standard .032 inch diameter stainless steel safety wire as shown in Figure 4" (Wilwood)

A little vague on Wilwood's end IMO. I'll pick up some safety wire pliers tomorrow and get to work. Thank you for the heads up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just looked back at the instructions, "...for an added measure of security, the bolts may be safety wired using standard .032 inch diameter stainless steel safety wire as shown in Figure 4" (Wilwood)

A little vague on Wilwood's end IMO. I'll pick up some safety wire pliers tomorrow and get to work. Thank you for the heads up.
I found the rear brakes to be much harder to do since they are more cramped for space.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I plan to do the 12.19" rotor 6 piston Wilwood kit on the front of my 65 FB sometime. How is the pedal travel with the 15/16 MC? Which pads did you get? Mike Maier suggested the 1" bore MC and the BP-20 pads when I spoke to him a while back.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looks nice do you have a pic with the wheel on the car?

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
You must have 17” wheels?
How did you wind up picking Wilwood vs any of the others? I’d be asking regardless of who you picked.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
How did you wind up picking Wilwood vs any of the others? I’d be asking regardless of who you picked.
I used the 6 piston Wilwoods on my Cobra. The Wilwoods are usually cheaper than Baer or Brembo.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan to do the 12.19" rotor 6 piston Wilwood kit on the front of my 65 FB sometime. How is the pedal travel with the 15/16 MC? Which pads did you get? Mike Maier suggested the 1" bore MC and the BP-20 pads when I spoke to him a while back.
The pedal travel seems spot on, the 15/16th MC seems better suited for the larger displacement of the 6 piston kit than the 4 piston. I had a little more pedal travel than I wanted before.

I'm using the stock BP-10 pads that came with the kit, so far so good. I've used Wilwood's Polymatrix E compound on another kit. They work great, but are noisy.

I'll more than likely try the BP-20 pads next time around, the EBC Yellowstuff pads made a lot of dust and were VERY harsh on the rotors. (But it stopped the car in a hurry)

Thanks for the info. I have two builds in progress running the same size kit up front. Do you have a power or a manual brake master cylinder?

Manual 4 wheel discs.

You just have small hands, Armon.
LOOOOL

Looks nice do you have a pic with the wheel on the car?
I'll take some today :)

Yes, 17x8" wheels. I've used Wilwood kits in the past and I was always very impressed with their quality, so I was naturally leaning towards them. Brembo doesn't make a kit for a '69 (at least not that I could find) and Baer brakes were ridiculously expensive. I also wanted a kit with slotted rotors, NOT drilled as I've heard too many horror stories of them cracking. That criteria alone eliminated some of Wilwood's other kits because they only offer solid faced or drilled/slotted rotors.

It was down between the Wilwood brakes and the Street or Track 4 piston brakes. I ultimately went with the Wilwood because I was able to get them at a lower price and I've used their kits on other builds.

However, I have driven a '69 mustang with Shaun's SoT brakes and I can confidently say that they're VERY nice pieces. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if anyone was deciding between the two.

I used the 6 piston Wilwoods on my Cobra. The Wilwoods are usually cheaper than Baer or Brembo.
The equivalant Baer kit is not cheap, lol.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bae-4261214r/overview/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nice! I'm looking at different kits out there an deciding on the 12" or 12.8". I'm thinking of the 12 with the 6 piston and good pads as this car will see some track days

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! I'm looking at different kits out there an deciding on the 12" or 12.8". I'm thinking of the 12 with the 6 piston and good pads as this car will see some track days
I would seriously consider the larger rotor. Not only is it physically larger in diameter, but it is MUCH thicker. That will make a massive difference in heat dissipation if you're considering doing some track days.

I too was trying to decide between the two, but a good friend of mine who autocrosses regularly convinced me to go for the larger brakes.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would seriously consider the larger rotor. Not only is it physically larger in diameter, but it is MUCH thicker. That will make a massive difference in heat dissipation if you're considering doing some track days.

I too was trying to decide between the two, but a good friend of mine who autocrosses regularly convinced me to go for the larger brakes.
+1

Put some large pin '70 drum brake spindles on there and get the 14" 6 piston kit. I did, they look good IMO. Wilwood recommends an 18" wheel, but I think you can fit them under most 17" wheels too depending on the wheel specs.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
How do these new 6 piston calipers/larger rotors compare to the 4 piston caliper Wilwood setup you had before and why the change? Were the 4 piston calipers/smaller rotors not "cutting it" or did you just upgrade for added peace of mind? I'm thinking about doing the 4 piston kit front and rear on m6 65 fastback as I'm just using cheap Granada disc brakes all the way around. Also, what horror stories have been told about the cross drilled rotors? The Granada disc brakes have been on my car for I'm guessing close to 10 years meow and are all cross drilled but to be fair, I rarely ever drive the car, and never drive it in the rain/cold.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
How do these new 6 piston calipers/larger rotors compare to the 4 piston caliper Wilwood setup you had before and why the change? Were the 4 piston calipers/smaller rotors not "cutting it" or did you just upgrade for added peace of mind? I'm thinking about doing the 4 piston kit front and rear on m6 65 fastback as I'm just using cheap Granada disc brakes all the way around. Also, what horror stories have been told about the cross drilled rotors? The Granada disc brakes have been on my car for I'm guessing close to 10 years meow and are all cross drilled but to be fair, I rarely ever drive the car, and never drive it in the rain/cold.
I don't know about "horror stories" but cross-drilled rotors are (99% of the time)
not the smartest thing. I know Porsche and some other OE have them on some
vehicles, but what you don't know is the rotor was already massive overkill before
they MANUFACTURED it with the holes..... for the bling factor.

In general, when you drill regular brake rotors out of the box, you....
1) Remove mass from the rotor
2) Introduce the possibility of stress risers, cracks and failure to the rotor

The brake equation is a calorific one of absorbing heat from kinetic energy,
so removing mass from the rotor is not really a good thing.
#2 I'm not even commenting on.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing wrong with the 4 piston calipers at all. For stock and mild autocross they do the job. Keep in mind though the 4 piston kit is paired with rear discs. When I had my rear drums, I would get very nasty pedal fade in even smaller autocross courses.

I found the 4 piston setup to be more than adequate for street use and would not hesitate to use them again on another car. However, for faster and larger autocross courses I would still get a lot of pedal fade.

Look up cracked drilled rotors, they always seem to crack between the holes after some track use

I believe the Porsche rotors have chamfered holes which greatly reduces the risk of cracking.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
That kit looks really really good quality. I want to go with a 6 piston kit for my car too.

Does anyone make bigger rotors and brackets with the 6 piston front setup? 12" rotor isn't exactly large to use a 6 piston caliper. Id want at least a 14" rotor.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts