Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering why isnt wilwood as well as other racing brakes street legal? is their a high risk of them going out or somthing? not good for stop and go driving? does anybody have them on their daily driver? thanxs

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
I believe Hoosierbuddy has them on his daily driver. Hopefully he'll be on later. Off hand, I think the difference between the street and racing versions are constuction of the racing version more suited to frequent servicing. Also IRC, Phil also stated that the Wilwood brakes widened his front track and caused problems with the tires rubbing the front fenders. He ended up buying 2 new rims at different offsets, ouch.

·
7,014 Posts
http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC18005.JPG

As Tom pointed out, I switched to Wilwoods on the front of my '65. They work great, especially compared to my old front drums. I documented the conversion on my brake page at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/brakes.htm

Regarding why it says they are for racing only in places like Summit, etc. I, personally, may have something to do with that. When I bought mine, Wilwood was sending out a mixed message in my opinion. In places they would say "for racing only" and in other places they appeared (to my untrained eye and this is ONLY MY OPINION) to me marketing them to muscle car owners for street use.

When I asked their tech support why they said "for racing use only" on the documentation he said they had not attempted to have D.O.T. certify them for street use. I actually discuss this on my website (the one above), and I DID receive a call from Wilwood about the site. One of their underlings called and told me that one of their Vice Presidents would be contacting me shortly about the site and his "problems" with what I had written. That was at least two years ago, and I'm still waiting for him to call.

They are good brakes. However, there are several new products from SSB that I would consider before going with the Wilwoods today. SSB did not have a dual master cylinder power setup when I did my brakes...and I THINK they do now. Check the track thing. It can add a huge chunk of change to your cost. See if whatever you are looking at is D.O.T. certified. I have no idea what that entails. Maybe none of the aftermarket setups are. I have no idea. If you find out anything, let me know. It would be interesting.

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I have the Wilwood's for my 66. Much better than the drums; relatively simple to install and seemingly easier to maintain. (Have not had to do it yet though). You will need 15" rims minimum and about another 1/2" offset.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I also installed the wilwoods and they work great. Along with the big sticky tires, laying on the brake pedal hard will make you're head hurt. From about 40 mph, the car actually stops between 20 and 30 ft. I have it well tuned with an adjustable regulator and I haven't used the other brands to compare to, but these brakes are fantastic. I'm using 17x7 rims with 4.5" b.s. in front and 4.75" b.s. would have worked too.
-Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts