Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys tell I'm in the middle of a build? Since I will be using 18" wheels I figure I better get some really super fly disc brakes behind them. My 70 boss clone has willwood which are great but I was wondering if there are any benefit to using the baer. The wilwood seems to be less expensive. Any thoughts? Anyone know where to get the best deal? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I went with the Baer track 13" kit over the Wilwood. Before I bought, I called both tech departments to ask questions. I found out that the Wilwood kit increases your track width by 1/4 or 1/2 inch per side (I forgot which one.) I also found out that the Wilwoods don't have dust seals so rebuilds could be more frequent. This was about two years ago, so I don't know what has changed. I bought my kit from Shaun at Street or Track.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
What about the 13" Cobra swap? The Cobras use most of the same parts as Baer and it's less than $1100 when done. Parts are easy to get too.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I looked at Wilwoods before I bought my Baer kit several years ago as they seemed a little less pricey. Every place I looked for Wilwoods had a disclaimer about "off road use only", even though a number of people use them on street cars, more now than several years ago. The upside, IIRC, is Wilwood is six piston while the Baer/PBR is only four.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I went the wilwood route simply for cost, I love em, they stop great and look great. Im assuming the off road use notation they use is a liability disclaimer.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
PBR calipers are two piston, as the other poster said. But for the street- so what.
I don't think you can go wrong either way, unless you are going to track the car. Both are really more than you need for the street. Supposedly the rubber "dust" shields (which I think more for for water than dust) melt at the high heat track use creates. But for every time I've read that, I've read of guys running PBR/Baer/Corvette/Cobra calipers on the track with no problems. Maybe they are not aware that they toasted the shields... maybe it didn't happen.
I bought Wilwoods, zero offset changes, and nice 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears. I do track the car, and my brakes are so sensitive now I'm going to a manual master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
65Stang0_1 said:
The early Wilwood kits did increase the track width, but new kits are available that do not. Depending on how much cash you want to spend, you have many choices in calipers. I bought one kit from Hot Rods USA. Very good to deal with.

Vic
Vic, did you get the front and back? Do you mind telling me the cost? Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
One thing to think about for daily driver use or for those that don't like to wait on mail order, is getting replacement pads. The Baer/Cobra stuff can be had at any corner auto parts store ('94 and up Mustang Cobra, or Corvette even) where as the Wilwoods and other exotic brakes require pads from a racing source (mail order, Summit, direct from manufacturer, etc.).

The Cobra PBR/Baer stuff also has a TON of pad choices (Hawk, Carbotech, GreenStuff, Performance Friction, etc.)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought the rear kit from HotRodsUSA and spent about $600 for them. They also offer front kits in many rotor diameters including diffent calipers.

I bought my front Wilwood brakes from Global West mostly because I liked their hub better than the competitors. I upgraded to the '70 spindle also.

Vic

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Vic.

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
Go with the MustangSteve brackets and Cobra discs front and rear...

I shopped around pretty thoroughly and decided this was the best bang for the buck.

You can find usable calipers from late model guys who are trading up to the Brembo/etc calipers all the time on Ebay and Craigslist.

PM me if you want pictures or anything. I'm in the middle of this swap myself on my 69 coupe.

Nate

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
stangman69 said:
Go with the MustangSteve brackets and Cobra discs front and rear...
I hate re-iterating things that I have no first-hand experience with, so I'll say this is only my $0.01: If you use the MustangSteve brackets and Cobra discs, be careful what wheels you run, because (again, this is only hearsay) Torque Thrust II's won't fit without spacers. You (again, hearsay) won't have this problem if you use the Baer setup. I haven't heard anything about the Wilwoods on this issue.

I remember reading this only because I plan to keep my TT-II's when I add discs to the front and I have NO ROOM for spacers, or for the extra track width the Wilwoods (allegedly) create. Hence, Baer it likely will be...

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I went with the Baer brakes on mine. Sport kit up front and Touring kit out back. I purchased all new brake lines from them as well. The kit went in easily with no mods whatsoever. I couldnt be happier. Plus, arent the brake pads for Baer easier to come over-the-counter by since their calipers are PBRs? I think Willwoods you have to order.

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
Rorin67 is right...I'm running '03 Mach 1 wheel so I shouldn't have any fitment issues...

Nate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts