Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very minor blip in the install - I am finding that where the bracket that holds the parking brake drum butts up to the axle housing, there is some interference. The rubber plug that covers the hole for the drum brake adjuster is partially covered by the axle housing so the bracket won't sit flush unless I remove the rubber plug.

Should I just leave the rubber plug off (since this is just the parking brake drum) or should I grind the axle housing down a bit to clear the hole so I can reinstall the rubber plug? Seems to me that I should just go without the plug, but figured I'd ask anyways

Photo: just the front side showing the parking brake drum and bracket installed on the axle

Photo: view of backside - you can see where oval hole for adjuster is partially covered by the axle housing

Note: nothing goes in that hole on the axle housing, it has always been empty.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I’d run without the plug...grind if it makes you feel better...otherwise move on...

Reactions: 65coupei6_2

·
Registered
768 Posts
It would be cleaner to grind and paint then install the rubber plug. But, no problem running without the plug. No one is going to look there in the future but you anyways.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Agreed with cleaner to flatten the housing in order to install the plug. You could go either way and probably won’t have issues, BUT, you have been known to drive very long distances and judging by pictures have no issues with mud, dirt, grime, rain, etc. so the plugs would ensure none of that ends up in the hat. That would be my only pitch to install the plugs.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking at the fitment of the rotor over the drum, I have decided just to remove the plug and run without it. There's a couple of unfilled holes in the backside of the drum bracket that could also let in grime, and there's also a gap around the rim, so it must not matter too much.

Also since this is just my parking brake... really, how much grime would have to get shuffled in there to start affecting it?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you can still adjust it, I'd leave it as is.
Maybe try to trim the plug and use a bit of RTV to hold it in place ... if it doesn't work, you weren't gunna use it anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts