Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read recently that there is a problem matching Wimbeldon White with the new clear coat paints. The article said that the new paints can make the color appear too light. I want my Shelby clone to be as correct as possible (Wimbeldon White with Guardsman Blue stripes). Anyone found any problems with the match? If so, what information should I give my paint man? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I ended up going Single Stage after researching the same thing. I was told the BC/CC ends up lighter, and may have a yellow "tinge" depending on quantity of clear coat.

After doing it with the S.S. I admit it looks very original, however I really think it lacks the depth and beauty of the BC/CC paints.

With you wanting the stripes, I'm hoping someone here can give you more insight than me. After having both a S.S and BC/CC car, I really love the two stage paints, even though application and touchup are more difficult, and price is more expensive.

·
Registered
580 Posts
As long as you are painting the whole car it will not be an issue. The only time you would be able to tell is if you parked next to an original IMO. BC/CC is the best paint you can buy and gives superior gloss. Why not build one better than the original.

Lstar

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
[quote BC/CC is the best paint you can buy and gives superior gloss. Why not build one better than the original.

Lstar [/quote] :highfive: Couldn't agree more! Bought a new 66 Mustang in Ivy Green with a black vinyl top. From day one it was a 5 to 10 footer, depending on viewing angle. Full of orange peel it was OK. A 66 T-Bird in the same color was better, but not much. A 67 Shelby, resplendent? :rolleyes: in Lime Metallic, sat unsold in the dealer showroom for a few months because the paint was so bad. The "glass" didn't match the steel and it was ultimately discounted heavily to "get it out the door". Wonder if it was treated to a highdollar paint job, sat in storage, and mega bucked through Barrett-Jackson! :lol: By all means make it better!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have mentioned this before, but
I used to paint and repair these cars when they where new, 60' and 70's.
there ARE 2 different colors of Wimbelden white.
one is more white and one is more off white.
I remember this because it caused me head achs until the local Martin Senour guys came up with the answer in their paint book.
... one is newer and whiter,i mean newer like late late 60's and maybe early early 70's.
i used to have the paint codes memorized ,but its been like 35 -37 years now.
there is an on line paint code and chip web site that i came across a while back, someone here posted it.
or, do you know an old paint guy who kept his chip book?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I'll make sure my paint guy knows to get the color codes for 1965. I have noticed a big difference in Ford whites. The early color is much darker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts