Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of how their windlace is installed around the edges of their convertible 66' Mustang? I have an idea of how it goes, but just want to be sure. I'm almost positive it's tucked into the top of the windshield behind the metal brackets for the top attachment and follows all the way down and around to under the interior metal quarter panel. I just want to make sure before cutting it because I only bought 16ft.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
It tucks in by the windshield as suspected, attaches to a clip screwed to the side of the A post / dash where the door would close against the dash, just above the kick panel. Starts again at the back edge of the door sill plate and tucks under the chrome corner cap where the interior quarter panel meets the top of the door opening. Full 16 feet is only needed for couples and fast backs but has lots of other use, like holding headliners in place around the front and rear windshields in coupes and fastbacks while gluing it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It tucks in by the windshield as suspected, attaches to a clip screwed to the side of the A post / dash where the door would close against the dash, just above the kick panel. Starts again at the back edge of the door sill plate and tucks under the chrome corner cap where the interior quarter panel meets the top of the door opening. Full 16 feet is only needed for couples and fast backs but has lots of other use, like holding headliners in place around the front and rear windshields in coupes and fastbacks while gluing it in.
So there is actually a screw holding the windlace in right near the dashboard? Or it just hugs the metal seam NEAR that screw holding the dash in?

Also towards the rear metal kick panel... Does it tuck in there so you can't see the windlace end or is the end of it visible?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Can easily answer both...

The top tucks in underneath the Chromed Sunvisor Pivot assembly piece...and the bottom tucks in a half inch into the Kick Panel.

No screws into the Windlace piece whatsoever. The Windlaces just hugs the metal seam and the Metal screwed in clip piece on the side of the dashboard.

Make sure that you measure and cut the windlace piece long enough before you cut it....A Big mistake that everone makes is that they cut it too short.

Some of the "Cheaper" Repro Convertible kickpanels are not wide enough to accept the windlace and the "Repro" Kickpanels just break/crack. Make sure that your Convertible Kick Panels are Scott Drake pieces that have the correct "Bosses" for the screws in the kickpanels as they are the best made out there. Virginia Classic Mustang (VCM) sells them along with NPD...as well as the "Correct" Windlace that was Originally used.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
myfirstcar66's pic is incorrect as the bottom of the windlace is tucked in a half inch into the kick panel. That's not how the Original cars were done.

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
myfirstcar66's pic is incorrect as the bottom of the windlace is tucked in a half inch into the kick panel. That's not how the Original cars were done.

Tony K.
The kick panel is not installed in the picture. It is just propped up there with an arrow to show about the area of the clip, as they are missing on a lot of cars.
They're not missing on mine, the windlace isn't cut too short, the kick panels are installed correctly and I have no fit or finish issue when the judges come 'round. Cheers !

Attachments

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Just trying to make the important point that the Windlace goes under the Kickpanel....not butted up against it or lying on top of it..

Tony K.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks the both of you! Was able to get one half installed. Actually picked up those same exact kick panels too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts