Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I just bought some knobs for the window crank handle. There is a bent springy washer in each package, can't see why/which side this would go on. Also the post gets pressed into the knob, could not do it by hand and I didn't want to use pliers on it. Do you use a vise to press the post into the knob? It looks like it would be hard to get apart again so i want to do this right the first time without damaging the knob in the process.
Thanks,
Allen

71 Coupe, red with vinyl top, 351-C, headers, 600 carb, mid range cam

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The wave washer goes between the knob and the arm of the handle. The knob is plastic? The washer keeps the knob from rubbing on the arm and vice versa, making it easier to rotate.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I believe that the spring washer (looks wavey from on edge) sits between the knob and the handle. I don't know how the knob comes off, but it probably press fit. good luck, hopefully someone will post their experience.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have replaced a couple of the knobs. The wavy washer goes between the knob and handle. The way to put this together is to remove the handle, place the knob and washer in proper location, and then place on a piece of cardboard, adn wrapped with a towel, use a mallet to gently pound the provided fitting into the the back of the knob. Be careful and do not pound it too far in or the knob will not turn as you try to roll down the window. Then replace handle back onto door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts