Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '67 that's mostly apart. Before I sandblast it, there are a few pieces I'd like to remove; some chrome trim and the windows.

The trim in question is the stuff just above the doors. It doesn't seem to be held on with screws, and I'm afraid to really pry at it with a screwdriver.

My other question involves the glass in the doors. Is there a way to take the windows out of the doors without pulling the door skin off? Same question about the smaller rear seat windows.

I have heard that you shouldn't take the doors off while doing bodywork because they are important if the car is to keep its original shape... Does this only apply to major structural work? I'd much prefer to just take the doors off and clean them with stripper/DA sander than mess with the window mechanism.

Thanks,

matt k.

G

·
The windows are fairly easily removed. Replacing them is another matter. I suggest you use a factory manual...Best regards John

G

·
This is for a '66, but I think that the '67 is the same.

The trim is sort of snapped on with the upper rolled edge of the trim more robust than the lower rolled edge. Working from either end of the trim, grasp the trim with your fingers and try to roll the trim upwards. It should peel off. I have heard of others using a bottle opener to do this, but be careful if you do. Once you have the trim started, just continue along the length.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Here's how it is on my '65: The upper molding consists of three pieces of stainless. These are: drip rail molding, weatherstrip channel and trim strip. In taking them off, the drip rail molding is stripped off by starting at the front edge and rotating the molding sufficiently to pop off the front edge. Once this is started, simply work back until the drip rail molding is off (once you get it started, it often jumps off. Note these pieces are easily damaged so use care and be sure you recognize the seam between the drip rail molding and the trim piece. Okay the drip rail is off so now what? Remove the weatherstrip from its channel (its glued in) and you will find a series of convertible top screws underneath, remove these to remove the weatherstrip channel. Finally, the trim strip is pop riveted to the roofline, the pop rivets need to be drilled out to release this trim strip.

The glass on a '65/'66 comes out the top of the door shell by first disconnecting the roller linkage inside the door. Then remove the front and rear uplocks. Put a putty knife in the back edge of the window to make a glide for the back of the window frame (over the uplock louver in the window frame) then pull upward to take the glass out.

Don't take this verbatum for your '67.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i don't know if you mean "sandblast" with sand or not but if your doing it with sand use fine sand and really take your time because it will WARP sheetmetal big time if your not careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts